Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FYI - Tech. Support will not call back through deaf relay operator........

I just wanted to warn everyone that I was "chatting" with tech. support tonight, it was then determined that a Senior Advisor would have to call me back at a designated time, then I explained to the support tech. that I had an incoming deaf relay number. She said "oh, we use an automated system, you have to answer your phone then your call will be transferred to a senior tech.". I told her that was not possible via deaf relay. Then next thing I knew, I got an email to my Apple email that said she cancelled the callback request and inserted a private note to me that I HAD to call the disability number for tech. support.

I consider this true discrimination. I know for a fact that they can bypass the automated system because I have had callbacks before through the deaf relay operator. But she insisted (after we had spent 1 1/2 hours online chatting) that I HAD to call Disability Services at Apple, then request a Senior Advisor through deaf relay. This is very angering and I hope a member of management reads this and emails me personally as my questions are still not resolved. Thank you.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 25, 2015 3:54 AM

3 replies

Oct 25, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Community User

I realize that the below is not the solution you want, but please hear me out.

Please know that Apple personnel never make themselves known around here and rarely even visit. These are user-to-user forums only.

I am also hearing impaired, though not to the extent that I require a deaf relay number. I typically cannot take an incoming call unless I am already on my headset, with my hearing aids removed, because it takes me too much time to make the switch. I also avoid talking on the phone whenever possible. Since I work from my home, that's a difficult juggling act, most work days.

I am an IT project manager and have helped dozens of companies implement call center technologies over the past ten years. Call centers throughout the world rely on automated systems to direct phone calls to the correct individuals. Without them, call center customer service levels would drop precipitously from their already precarious positions. In addition, call center personnel are graded on things like the amount of time they spend on a call, the number of calls they take, the length of calls, etc. All of those metrics are disrupted by having a live human being place the original call.

As one who is also deaf, I feel that what Apple has offered is a work-around to your situation, not discrimination.

Jul 14, 2016 3:51 AM in response to OldGnome

Sir I respect totally what you do for Apple and what you are saying about automation. The fact of the matter was that the technician acted very arrogant and rude, which in turn rubbed me the wrong way, and it was only after she consulted with her senior advisor that she knew that I should have called the disability help desk. Plus, I have received a call back before from a senior advisor that somehow bypassed the automated system to call me via the deaf relay operator. The technician had misinformation, plus her attitude was pretty sharp and certainly uncaring. I did get the help that I needed at the disability help desk, but the technician should have known to refer me there to begin with instead of wasting an hour of my time, then tell me that I have the wrong agent. Maybe "discrimination" was a harsh term on my part, but I can assure you that you would have been offended as a deaf person had you dealt with her. Have a nice weekend.

FYI - Tech. Support will not call back through deaf relay operator........

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.