Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing globe at start-up

Hi, three or four times in the past couple of weeks, when I have started up my Macbook, it has failed to start up and there has been a white screen with a flashing globe (planet Earth) in the middle of the screen. I had to force shut-down and restart. Each time the restart has been successful. I googled the flashing globe and found contradictory explanations etc etc. Is this something I should be worrying about? My Mac is getting a bit old now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I don't ever have time to contribute much to this forum (and I feel like my knowledge is very limited anyway) but I really appreciate the help from many knowledgable people on here who kindly give up their time to help others! Thank you.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 25, 2015 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 2:24 AM

flashing globe during start up

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 2:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you! Sorry for my late response.

It's strange, though, because I've never been connected to a network, so I don't know why my computer would be looking for a disc on a network. Additionally, going to the Start-up Disc window of System Preferences is only possible if you can start up in the first place. I had to force my computer to shut down when I got stuck with the globe. Looking at the Start-up Disc window of System Preferences now, only my computer's hard drive is showing.

Anyway, it's good to know that it's just some kind of glitch, and not something devastating!

Thanks again.

Flashing globe at start-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.