Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download MacOS 7.6.1 in floppy disk format?

Where can I download MacOS 7.6.1 in floppy disk format? I have a Mac Classic 2, and would like to run the latest version that will run on it in system 7.6.1. I don't have a CD-ROM for my Classic.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Oct 25, 2015 10:45 AM

4 replies

Oct 25, 2015 6:25 PM in response to Apple 2GS

A full installation of either Mac OS 7.6 or 7.6.1 was never made available for download by Apple. The Mac OS 7.6.1 Update was available for download in segmented files, that could be accommodated on floppy disks. Many years ago, one would occasionally find a retail boxed version of either installer on floppy disks at ebay. Now, you'll have a harder time locating it, but I'd check ebay. Hardcore Mac has it, but $70 is a lot to pay for such old software.

Oct 25, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Apple 2GS

System 7.6 (not free) and the 7.6.1 update do not deliver that much extra for a 68030 computer compared to System 7.5.3 (and the 7.5.5 update). However, if you really wish to install 7.6, it would probably be better to try to locate an external SCSI CD-ROM drive (preferably an Apple model) and an original 7.6 system disc to begin with. Buying a package with a set of old floppies may mean that some disks are not stable any more. BTW, the 7.6 retail CD includes floppy disk images as well, so if you have access to another pre-1998 Macintosh computer with an internal CD-ROM drive and a built-in floppy drive, you could create a set of floppies. If necessary, a 7.6.1 update (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_7.6.1_Update/Mac_OS_7.6.1_Update_Info.tx t) could be added.

Oct 28, 2015 1:07 AM in response to a brody

>for a 68030 computer

However, in this very case, System 7.5.3 should be quite sufficient (even without later updates). A Network Software Selector, allows a choice between classic networking and Open Transport. For a Classic II computer (which, may not be the ideal Internet machine), the "classic" setting with MacTCP (instead of the TCP/IP control panel used under Open Transport) could be a good alternative. For dial-up, a separate PPP program is needed. A (third-party) text-based web browser such as WannaBe should work at a reasonable speed. System 7.1 may be even faster/better for a Classic II, but does not include MacTCP (nor any other Internet software) from the beginning.

Where can I download MacOS 7.6.1 in floppy disk format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.