Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starkey Halo users... Couple questions...

What is your default volume set at?

If you triple click and bring up HA control, what percentage does it show? Just curious. Mine shows 41%, and is WAY too loud. If I were to lose use of my iPod for some reason, I would NOT be able to function with the default volume at this level.

Has anyone had a problem with music/sound streaming quitting/muting/shutting off your Halos?

I have a recurring problem in which if I start streaming iTunes, I might get 30 seconds or so into a song, then in one aid I start hearing some clicking and buzzing which slowly gets louder, then the music stops as if muted. The buzzing and clicking will slowly fade, and the aid will just be 'off'. If I wait long enough, the second aid will then do the same thing, and stop as if off/or muted. And the ONLY way I can get them back on, is to open the doors and wait, then restart. Sometimes I have to open and close the doors 2 or 3 times to get them back 'on'. If I hear the clicking and buzzing in time, and shut off whatever the sound source is (not 'always' iTunes - ANY sound/video/app noises/etc.) I can prevent the sound shutting off, but it doesn't fix my streaming problem.

I don't know for sure what the "trigger" is, but after having them reset by my HIS (3 times already!!! And now it is doing it again), they work great, and stream great until 'something' happens. And it starts again. Once it does it one time, it continues. I can't stream.

I talked to a Starkey rep one day earlier this month (on the 4th time it happened!) who gave me some 'resetting' instructions by phone which she was suppose to email me (can't talk to her and do it at the same time), but had never received an email. I tried remembering what she said to do, and WAS successful in getting them to work that time, but it has started YET AGAIN (5th time now), but can't remember what I did (I was winging it without that email), but it has started again, and I can't get them working. Sound familiar to anyone? I had not had a problem for the first year, then this problem seemed to start after an iOS update. (It seems like there were a couple times it started when my FB app started playing something on it's own - though could be a coincidence and have nothing at all to do with it.)

Thoughts on either?

Starkey Halos-OTHER

Posted on Oct 25, 2015 12:09 PM

10 replies

Oct 26, 2015 6:35 PM in response to OldGnome

Well, when this starts, I don't normally have much of a choice but to change batteries.. A. LOT. It drains the batteries like crazy! I have already changed batteries today, and within a few hours, already getting the little man yelling at me. Gah. Did a hard reset this morning. Seemed to have fixed it this time. At least for now, but the battery drain continues.

Oct 27, 2015 4:20 AM in response to AuntLori

Have you tried a variety of batteries to see which work best for you? I ordered a sampler from www.microbattery.com when I first got my Halos and tried them all. While most lasted a week or so, there were a couple that didn't make it longer than 1/2 day.

I settled on the ZeniPower HP, but you may experience better battery life with another brand.

Oct 27, 2015 7:01 AM in response to OldGnome

I use Rayovac ("extra advanced" they say). They usually last seven days. My aids announce, about half an hour before the battery goes dead: "BATTERY!" Very inconvenient if I happen to be out of the apartment! I've taken to changing the batteries before I go anywhere if it's near their expiration time. I was told to remove the tab and leave the battery to outgas for about a minute before installing them.

(More than you wanted to know about my batteries?)

Oct 27, 2015 7:09 AM in response to gilda92

Seven days is good.

I always try to take spare batteries with me when I leave the house. You never know when you're going to get a bad battery.

You remove the tab and let the battery sit for at least a minute before putting them to use. The tab is a seal and removing that activates the battery. If you don't wait, you could degrade the life expectancy of the battery.

As a hearing aid wearing, I am getting used to becoming an expert on batteries. 🙂

Oct 27, 2015 8:46 PM in response to AuntLori

You know.... now that you are all mentioning batteries.... Each time I have had issues "I think" it has been with Energizers. I'm not 100% certain. But the Starkey branded ones from my HIS definitely outlast the Energizers. And now that I am thinking about it... His batteries last me a good 7-9 days, where the Energizers... no where near that. I changed them twice today (bad batches of batteries perhaps?? They're dated 2018!) Now I am starting to wonder if it has been the batteries all along. But, I had not had this problem for the first year or so of getting my Halos. And I generally grab whatever happens to be handy. I'll have to give that website a shot. I'm already heading to get some adjustments tomorrow and will grab a couple packs of fresh batteries and see if that makes a difference. He normally starts out a visit with a new set of batteries, and I have never had this issue start within a week of a visit, or, on his set of batteries. Hmmmm......

Gilda, I'm learning a lot about your batteries. How about that little guy yelling?? BATTERY!! LOL, I usually check my battery indicator before leaving too, and put a couple in my pocket it I'm getting low. I tend to stay away from Rayovacs, as I had not really had very good luck with battery life with them with my old aids. Perhaps I should give them another try. I also stay away from 'store branded' batteries, they've seemed to go dead faster than anything.

Oct 27, 2015 9:13 PM in response to OldGnome

Yup. I always carry spare batteries too. But it's pretty ****** inconvenient to have to change a battery in the dark while you're watching a play! So under those kinds of circumstances i change them at home if they're near death. And then there's that minute to wait before inserting them in the aids that makes it even more inconvenient!

Oct 28, 2015 4:19 AM in response to AuntLori

"How about that little guy yelling?? BATTERY!!"

Yikes. It took me weeks to get used to that. My audiologist did not warn me about that and there was no mention in the patient materials. The first time I heard it, I nearly jumped out of my chair. I was reading....it was quiet....."BATTERY."

You'd think that is something everyone would be told - "you will hear a strange voice uttering an incantation when it is time to change the batteries."

Oct 31, 2015 3:30 PM in response to OldGnome

My HIS sort of warned me. LOL. He was messing with settings, sound was cutting in and out, the start up chime, 1, Crowd, 3, 4... Then, BATTERY! LOL, I was like, well that's different! Voices in my head. He advised I might want to be selective about telling people I have voices in my head. But does he have to yell at me??? I mean, come on, at least be polite. LOL

Starkey Halo users... Couple questions...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.