Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gutenprint not working with El Capitan

I recently upgraded my 2007 iMac to El Capitan, and since then, I have not had the ability to print. My print queue halts with the message: 'stopped, unable to find Gutenprint driver named "HP laserjet 4 plus" '. I researched a workaround which goes as follows:

1) (re)start in recovery mode (hold cmd-r while booting or hold option and choose recovery volume)

2) start terminal from menu and disable rootless with command “csrutil disable” . there will be some feedback confirming you disabled this safety feature.

3) reboot normally

4) do not double-click your installer but go in package content (right click > view package content)

5) find inside the package Contents>Packages>Gutenprint 5.pkg and use that package to install (double click it). This time install should go normally.

6) I suppose you would like to enable rootless again since it is a safety feature after all with 1) to 3) using “csrutil enable” this time.

However, I can not complete step 4, as the 'view package content' option is not available. I did re-install xcode, but I still don't have the ability to view package content.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 9:59 AM

Did you remove from your printer list and add it back into the list

>Sys Pref>Printers&Scanners

3 replies

Gutenprint not working with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.