Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th gen Apple TV - audio output

It appears that they've removed the audio port for the new model.

How are people hooking this up to the stereo now?

I was content with the optical. Not sure if I can upgrade.

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2017 10:05 PM

I agree Don. This change alone has stopped me from upgrading to Apple TV 4th gen, and until they re-introduce the optical audio out, I will never upgrade to a newer model. The idea that I should need to have my TV on to listen to music is crazy. This was truly one of Apple's stupider decisions.

18 replies

Jun 17, 2017 4:52 PM in response to ap-loves-apple

Some of the other solutions mentioned here will work (with varying degrees of sound quality). However, a more sophisticated approach can be found at the following link:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/03/connect-the-4th-gen-apple-tv-to-a-dac- without-hdmi/

If you care about sound quality, this source tells you all about it (as well as having phenomenal advice and reviews about everything to do with audio). It has advice on iPhones, as well as Macs, as well as streaming services, speakers, headphones, amplifiers, etc. This site ( written by John Darko), has incredibly upgraded my whole experience of listening to music! Highly recommended!!!

Oct 27, 2015 3:18 AM in response to Tom Meade1

I also want to be able to play music without leaving my TV on. This is almost a deal breaker for me if this feature is not available. I have been using the optical audio output for this.

I always wondered why I had to have the TV on if I used the HDMI cable. I have the Apple TV connected to my Onkyo receiver and another HDMI cable going to the Sony TV. It is not that new of a TV and I don't think there is audio out from the TV unless the TV is actually on.

Any help in this would be appreciated. I suppose I could somehow keep my old Apple TV (version 2.0) attached to the system just for music.

Playing Apple Radio, or Spotify from my phone or iPad directly to the stereo without having to turn on the TV screen is the goal.

Thank you for any help

Alan

Nov 22, 2015 1:38 PM in response to ap-loves-apple

You may have solved your problem by now, or given up.

Anyway, I actually managed to hook my ancient B&O 9300 to the new Apple TV using my already existing Airport Express (connected to my stereo's Tape input port. All I needed to do was select Audio Output under Audio Menu and select the Airport ( or select 'Speaker' under Other options during playback of a song). Works perfect!

4th gen Apple TV - audio output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.