Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong sender name in Messages

My computer used to be my husbands computer. It was completely wiped before we switched (he bought a new one). However, I have looked everywhere for an answer, and cannot find one.

When I use messages on my macbook (which is connected to my # and email and all my contacts are just fine and it works just fine), I am not listed as the sender. It still shows my husbands name. (I know, because I had to copy/paste something out of chat into another document, and all my messages were labeled with my husbands name, and the person I was chatting with.)

Is there a way to fix this? I am the only admin on this computer. Everything is associated with my login's, my emails, my apple accounts, my phone number. Every place that I can think of checking says my name (or email or number), yet it is still defaulting to my husbands name for this. Is there somewhere I have missed looking? Or am I stuck with this. I know it's not a big deal because in the end I'm the only one who can see this, but it's still irritating lol. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 2:47 PM

4 replies

Oct 29, 2015 4:55 PM in response to amilner

Hi,

In the Contacts App is the My Card (See Card Menu) showing yours or your Husband's details ?

In Messages can you open the Preferences > Accounts and enable the Bonjour Accounts if it is not already done.

In the General section can you then untick the item about gathering all Lists into one list.

This will then let you use the Window Menu to pull just the Bonjour Buddy List to the Front.

This pic shows the Buddy List over the Sharing Pane in System Preferences and that is over the My Card from the Contacts App

User uploaded file

As you can see the Name is from the Address Card.

User uploaded file

9:46 pm Thursday; October 29, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Wrong sender name in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.