Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID stopped working after installing IOS 9.1i

The Touch ID was working normally before installing IOS 9.1, then after the restart and after entering low power mode, it stopped working.

I erased all content and settings and restored iPhone. Then when trying to set up Touch ID during the setup the system hangs, so I select setup later. Then when the setup is complete, through settings when turning on any of the Touch ID options, after a fraction of a second the screen goes to failed try again later.

iPhone 6, null

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 10:13 AM

This has since developed in to a bigger problem, I was advised by AppleCare chat to restore via iTunes as it completely replaces the software. This was not successful and has now resulted in leaving me with the initial "connect to iTunes". I am travelling overseas and though under warranty the local Apple Store is not obliged to fix it and Apple cannot accept a mail delivery from overseas. My later follow-up with Apple was that this can happen and the Assistant should have advised of the possible consequence of performing such an action. So not having a functioning Touch ID until I return in 6 weeks, is far better than having nothing at all.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2015 10:13 AM in response to fentium

This has since developed in to a bigger problem, I was advised by AppleCare chat to restore via iTunes as it completely replaces the software. This was not successful and has now resulted in leaving me with the initial "connect to iTunes". I am travelling overseas and though under warranty the local Apple Store is not obliged to fix it and Apple cannot accept a mail delivery from overseas. My later follow-up with Apple was that this can happen and the Assistant should have advised of the possible consequence of performing such an action. So not having a functioning Touch ID until I return in 6 weeks, is far better than having nothing at all.

Nov 1, 2015 6:34 PM in response to fentium

then i am better than you...before IOS 9.1 installation, my Touch ID is sensitive and useful for unlock my iPhone.

However, after the installation, the Touch ID always says my fingerprint is not matched with the record....and even i reset the fingerprint....it still happen after several days...anyone has same problem?

Nov 19, 2015 11:31 PM in response to fentium

I had the same problem with not functional Touch ID. It suddenly stop working under iOS 9.1(iPhone 6). I was trying to restart iPhone, it didn't worked. It wasn't even possible to turn on "iPhone unlock using touch ID" feature in setting.

Then helped for me this:

• turn on "Low power mode"
  • restart iPhone (Power button+home button)
  • after reboot, it started worked again...

I thought the unfunctional touch ID was due to the fact that I used my iPhone in rain last night but I was only SW problem in the end.

Nov 22, 2015 4:28 PM in response to fentium

I can confirm that in 99% of the cases the problem is in the Touh ID more precisely in the cable which conects Touch ID in the motherboard. With this problem iTunes will return code 53 if any we try to restore or update. Happly the cabble costs 10 dollars but its a little trick to open and fix it.

So sad that a 800 dollars phone became a brick just because of 10 dolars.

Touch ID stopped working after installing IOS 9.1i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.