Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 - DLNA

I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to the new ATV - it looks good.

But I can't find whether it has DLNA capability built it? I'd like to be able to stream from my NAS box over DLNA. If not, presumably someone will be able to develop an app that will do this?

Any thoughts / comments welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 10:46 AM

It uses AirPlay

11 replies

Nov 6, 2015 11:22 AM in response to eludlow9876

There are several apps in the ATV 4 app store that will work with DLNA! The one I'm using currently is called LocalCast, which streams beautifully from a WD MyBook Live Duo. There's also a Plex app in the app store, but without an actual Plex server running somewhere on your network, it appears to be useless.

My two cents on the new ATV is that it's worth every penny.

May 18, 2016 9:28 PM in response to eludlow9876

While you can use airplay and mirror from your computer to a screen, that is the clunkiest way to do it. I always have PS3 Media Server running on my Macbook Pro. Thanks to the suggestions of others above, I use LocalCast to connect to PS3 Media Server. All the rendering is done on my laptop and cleanly presented by the AppleTV. Very happy with this support, although the LocalCast app has a zoomed in effect on my TV setup so all the edges are trimmed off.

Sep 24, 2016 5:44 AM in response to eludlow9876

By now I am sure "Eludlow9876" you have discovered many solutions to this question.
Nevertheless, one app that really shines here is, '8Player,' its small and simple. The '8PLayer' app will play a huge range of formats right off your home media server. Because the app has Airplay built-in, it is capable of sending the media stream to AppleTV. Also, you can download the files to your iPad/iPhone and watch offline - while you are on the go.

And since it works by Airplay - the prior generation version also works. Its really worth the 4 bucks or so. Check it out as it has a nice interface and more features. Cheers.

Sep 24, 2016 6:10 AM in response to eludlow9876

Just for fun... I would like to suggest another app, that is rather the reverse process, perhaps, to your question. Yet I feel it is, interesting enough to share. 'Firestream' by Cyaneous can serve files from your Mac (UPnP/DLNA) to your SmartTV, Android box and AppleTV (4th Gen) with VLC installed on the iOS/tvOS. (perhaps for those who do not have a personal cloud home server... the Mac itself (wired or on WIFI). You can assign any folder of files, even connected harddrives or usb jump drive that is connected to your Mac and share them just like (even better than iTunes or WDMyCloud). Plus, 'Firestream' streams to much many more devices and softwares (like Kudi, Roku, Playstation, Blu-Ray players to name a few). 'Firestream' is super easy to set-up, truly a pleasure to use and with its automatic transcoding configuration and just-in-time indexing - in a word it is really, fantastic. Highly recommend checking it out.

Apple TV 4 - DLNA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.