Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac LCD static dust issue fixed?

There were dust spots issues for older iMac. Is this problem fixed for Retina 5K 27" iMac?

I still find this problem with non-retina. 27" think edge design in a local Apple shop. I am considering the retina version, but worrying about this.

Anyone using retina 5K iMac please share your experience.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 2:53 AM

This issue was definitely not solved in my iMac 5K retina late 2014. Late 2016 I started noticing greyish smudges in both bottom corners of the display. Moreover, my iMac has just went outside the 2 year warranty period. I guess, this is the end of my long friendship with iMacs, since I've experienced dust in at least 3 generations of iMacs starting with 24" 2008 model. All of them had dust developing INSIDE the display assembly within 2-3 years of use (so no easy way of cleaning). All these iMacs were used in regular apartment locations (not one place), with regular residential indoors dust levels (no pets, no smokers).

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2017 2:53 AM in response to Andy Yau

This issue was definitely not solved in my iMac 5K retina late 2014. Late 2016 I started noticing greyish smudges in both bottom corners of the display. Moreover, my iMac has just went outside the 2 year warranty period. I guess, this is the end of my long friendship with iMacs, since I've experienced dust in at least 3 generations of iMacs starting with 24" 2008 model. All of them had dust developing INSIDE the display assembly within 2-3 years of use (so no easy way of cleaning). All these iMacs were used in regular apartment locations (not one place), with regular residential indoors dust levels (no pets, no smokers).

User uploaded file

Dec 14, 2017 10:33 AM in response to J_Jason

Don't be very optimistic about screen replacement. I had my late 2014 Retina iMac screen replaced (paid replacement as I was denied the warranty repair) in authorized Apple service shop in April, 2017 (the old screen developed nasty dust marks, see photos in previous posts). Now as of December, 2017 my iMac started showing slight dust markings in one of the bottom corners of the display (I was away most of the summer, so it is around 4 months of use at the most, in a regular apartment). Shame to Apple, and I am done with the iMac line for good.

Mar 10, 2017 7:55 AM in response to Andy Yau

Yes, the issue is still here, nice and dusty, on my Retina iMac 2014 (first generation of Retina iMac). It worked fine for 2 years (not to mention very blurry facetime camera), and now I am noticing really nasty dust marks in both lower corners of the screen. I must add that I've observed this dust issue on all iMacs that I owned, and it has been not less than 4 generations. One would think the issue should be gone when they adopted totally un-repairable glued-sealed screen assembly, but the dust manages to get inside just as well. Why is it not possible for Apple to seal the screen so that is it 100% air-tight, is beyond me. Total shame.

Nov 14, 2017 8:01 PM in response to Andy Yau

I have this issue as well. I have a late 2015 iMac Retina 5K 27" and literally noticed today that the bottom left and bottom right parts of the screen are showing very similar "dust" patterns. A Google search turned up this thread and a couple of others. I have 3 year AppleCare so will be taking it back to Apple to show them the issue and (hopefully) get the screen replaced.

Oct 27, 2015 4:00 AM in response to killhippie

This is weird. According to the retail shop seller, most their demo unit of thin edge iMac are still having this well known problem.

I was told most their demo iMac in other shops are suffering similar problem too.

And it is not actual dust, it is static dust like a dark fog at corners.

Just found a video for showing the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glVKpMADAdU

ps: here is another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1NgOWhZwE

Oct 27, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Andy Yau

Those to videos are for 2010 and 2011 iMacs, retina screens with laminated processes were not even on iMacs then, that was the old screen technology. I really don't know what your shop is saying but an Apple store would not be telling you this. If the laminate process was not done properly maybe yes you can get some dust under the screen, but its not that likely or as wide spread as those out of date videos you have posted. Buy the iMac get Apple care and enjoy it.

I have seen 27" iMacs in shops that are demo units that are on all day without issues, you would have to be very unlucky to get a failed laminate screen however if you did you would be covered with Applecare. Looking for problems that may or may not happen or listening to hearsay from a shop that I doubt is a an actual Apple retail store is not healthy. Just enjoy the computer and don't worry, although you do seem to be trying to convince yourself that you don't want one anyway, by the sounds of your posts. Now unless you have a technical issue with a current machine there really is nothing more to say here.

iMac LCD static dust issue fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.