Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s fast battery drain with ios 9.1

Hi,

After upgrade from 8.4.1 to ios 9.1 my iphone 5s battery is drying very fast. Like within 8h it drains 100% to 0% in idle.

Is there any solutions ?

I did allready reset/ restore and all this kind of stuff but still no success... I really like to get back ios 8.4.1 if that could be possible...

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, battery drain

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 4:09 AM

Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/21/fix-ios-9-battery-life-problems/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2015 4:09 AM in response to rajaleidja

Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/21/fix-ios-9-battery-life-problems/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

Oct 28, 2015 5:35 AM in response to rajaleidja

I have been on 9.0.2 for a while with excellent battery life. I have not added any apps or changed anything on the phone in more than a month. Yesterday I upgrading to 9.1 and after the upgrade I could watch my battery drain about 1% every 2 minutes. Shut it off and put in on the charger last night. This morning battery was at 2%. Unplugged and re-plugged to charger, nothing. Did a hard reset on the phone and the battery started to charge, presently at 84%. If I take the phone off the charger I see the same 1% drain every 2 minutes. What is going on APPLE! Why is it we have to go through this battery problem after every update? Apple always seems to be able to fix it with a minor update. Where is the QA Apple?!

Oct 28, 2015 7:13 AM in response to rajaleidja

I started getting huge battery drain when I upgraded to iOS 8.4 .... it is a new 5s/32 about a 100 days old. There were so many problems with the 6 ... so I went with this and it is a real nice phone like your was. I will not upgrade any more cause once you do ... to bad.

Anyhow ... the fix I have for my iPhone is to turn every thing OFF.

Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth, Cellular Data ... went through all the apps in the Settings .. and turned everything off.

Got rid of Find my iPhone, dropped off the iCloud ... and the ONLY thing 'ON' ... is the settings control for the Setting App.

There is a cellular data switch for the Setting App .. and turn that off and the iPhone goes to crap ... so keep it 'on' and turn off the Cellular Data as a work around to shutting it off.

I now have returned to Battery life as when I purchased the iPhone 100 days ago ... and before the updates.

It is 1 % per hour ... I can charge it up on the iMac and bedtime it is 100 % ... go to bed 9 pm (it is on all night but dark screen) and it is still 100 % at 5 am and ready for work.

Turn off Cellular Data as it is a big energy eater as the Apple Apps you are NOT authorized to delete you can also not turn off, they are on all the time and talking to the cell tower in the background without your consent ... but Cellular Data off will not effect text messages or phone calls.

Just have to turn Cellular Data on if you want to use any of your Apps that you can delete .. or not delete like Maps for example.

That being said the new iOS 9 update has a Wi-Fi assist .. whereby the iPhone switched to cellular data straight away when ever it 'thinks' you are having a bad Wi-Fi experience ... so that eats up your data plan and can cost you big time. Verizon is minimum $1000 a year operating costs now ($70 a month with tax and fees added).

If there was a web site like iBackupBot where you could go BUY older versions of the iOS cause you made a mistake trusting Apple with the update and want to go back .. I would pay for it.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

Nov 6, 2015 12:54 AM in response to rajaleidja

I have the exact same problem as rajaleidja. Since a week and some time after updating to iOS 9.1 my iPhone5s battery drains much faster than before. Even if I do nothing at all. I tried many things, including a complete reset yesterday. Did not help much.

Interestingly, over the weekend and in the evenings, at home in my Wi-Fi, it seems to be ok. But "on the road", the battery drains no matter what I do.

Nov 7, 2015 1:52 AM in response to rajaleidja

It is clearly not the battery in my case, because the drain is normal when I am in a WiFi. I now also figured out that it is fine if I turn of mobile data. Well, then its not a smart phone anymore, just a normal cell phone. So this is clearly not what I want!

But at least I can narrow it down a bit: The huge battery drain occurs when mobile data are enabled and I am in a cellular network, not a WiFi. It drains no matter whether I use the phone or not. Strangely, it seems to be better on weekends and during the night. I'll try to find out whether it is one specific app, but I doubt that this will be clear. I thought it may be the Mail app, but removing (and re-installing) mail accounts and even turning all off did not help.

I suspect it is the iOS 9.1, which somehow ramps up the power usage if the data connection is weak or whatever. I'd really like to go back to an old system version if that would solve the issue.

Nov 10, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Waschbi

I have made some progress since my last post. I realised that there is excessice data usage by the system service "Documents & Sync". The following thread explains what is going on:

Cellular data drain (iOS 8.1.1) with "Documents & Sync"

It seems that iCloud is the culprit. The fix suggested there is to set up a new iCloud account. I have not yet gone quite as far, but I checked the following:

- sign out of iCloud on my iPhone

- sign out of iCloud on my iMac (with the phone back in iCloud again).

Both stopped the data as well as the battery drain immediately! So, after all, I had the issue on my phone only when the computer in my office was running!! Hence the observation that my battery lived much longer overnight and on weekends!

At the moment, I have both devices linked to iCloud again but iCloud drive and some other features (photos, mail) disabled. It seems ok right now, but it is still too early to be sure. I am certain, however, that it was iCloud on my computer that caused my iPhone to freak out. Pretty crazy.

In fact, the update that started the whole issue was not the one to iOS9.1 on the phone but the one to OS X El Capitan on my iMac! That was a tough nut to crack!

Nov 10, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Waschbi

Well Waschbi ... lets say your finding is spot on correct as to what might be happening between the iMac and the iPhone in your instance (I have that same binary hookup of course).

First question ... are you back to 1 % battery drain per hour ... like before the updates.

Second question ... that is a heck of a lot of data to power out on and there is still no idea of what that data talking was about and where it was really going to. After all there is nothing in your iMac from your iPhone that can be identified.

I mean .. you with draw a check of $60 from your bank account and there is a paper trail of where the money went to ... what account it was put in.

Here data is sent out from the iPhone ... and ... poof ... no idea of what was sent and where it went to.

As the money just did not disappear from your bank account and go poof ... the data just did not disappear into the voidness with a poof .. now did it ?

Still my fix of turing off everything especially Cellular Data .. until I need it ... gets me what I want .. 3 days (or 80 hours) of battery life in matching performance at purchase.

Just curious .. are you on 1 % per hour battery use.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

😮

Iphone 5s fast battery drain with ios 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.