Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Tower wont turn on. How to trouble shoot power supply

Hi all,

I have a early 2008 Mac Pro Tower.

I shut it down during a storm because of power glitches, the next day it would not start.

Pressing the Diag Switch on the Main Board give a yellow led, showing stand by power is there.

Holding the Start Button down and pressing the Diag Switch gives no lights.

Pressing the switch right below the Diag Switch give 2 red leds when the switch is released.

Am I correct that the lower switch resets the SMU?

I'm assuming at this point that it is the power button, but if I test the power button and find that it's working,

whats the best way to trouble shoot the power supply?

Thanks

Mike

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 8:28 AM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2015 9:44 AM in response to blackwell99

When a "mature" Mac will not start after being off AC power, the first thing (and the easiest thing) to check is the 3 Volt coin cell battery that backs up the PRAM.

That battery is half-hidden behind the graphic card. Its holder is 'delicate' -- do not force it or it will break. Testing it in circuit is complex -- if AC power plug is in the socket, you will measure the "always-on" power supply rather than the battery.

Replacing the battery means your Mac can now remember -- but what it remembers is still garbage until you do a PRAM Reset.

Mac Pro Tower wont turn on. How to trouble shoot power supply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.