Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade iTunes Without Losing App Store Functionality

I rely on iTunes 11, but I obviously also rely on the App Store.

However, as most people probably know by now, when you downgrade iTunes to a previous version, the App Store will stop working, stating: "An error has occurred;" "Use the Purchases page to try again." As everyone else, I've tried any suggestion available—without success.

In the process of downgrading iTunes via App Zapper and Pacifist, is there any way to make sure the App Store will continue to work after the downgrade? For instance, by avoiding to replace some specific files that the newer version of iTunes wrote?

In other words, does anybody know which files exactly are the ones that are responsible for the App Store to work properly, so that I can leave those untouched?

Any solution—even a workaround—is much appreciated.

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 10:03 AM

5 replies

Oct 27, 2015 3:01 PM in response to janonymous

I still use iTunes 7.5 so I can't comment upon specific versions. I know some features are restricted to newer versions (e.g., Apple Music) but usually Apple keeps the iTunes Store mostly compatible with iTunes versions fairly far back so it surprises me it doesn't work with your iTunes 11. In fact I would expect to see more comments about this if it were indeed the case and as far as I can recall I have even seen recent posts about using iTunes 9 with the Store.

I don't think iTunes is compartmentalized to that extent. Yes, there are numerous support files but probably everything is inside the iTunes binary program files. Using a newer support file (such as a Genius) file with an older version would probably be even more of a problem because the old application version would not know how to handle the newer support file.

Oct 27, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Limnos

Yeah, well, you just confused the iTunes Store with the App Store. I couldn't care less about the iTunes Store, but I need access to third-party apps that I bought in the actual App Store. The latter won't work with previous iTunes versions. Even though it doesn't make sense, it's a fact. It's all about the money--that's also a fact, and that's the reason why the iTunes Music Store will work with whatever version you're running.

Downgrade iTunes Without Losing App Store Functionality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.