Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect date on downloaded photos

I am downloading my iCloud Photo Library to my PC using iCloud 5 on Windows 10. Many of my photos have the date meta data copied incorrectly. In many cases, the "date taken" in the source photo has been changed to the creation date. Pictures taken in 1977 are merged with my 2015 pictures on my PC. Has anyone else seen this? I can't see anything wrong with the files on my Mac where I assigned the dates after scanning the original slides using the new Photos App on my Mac. This is a pretty serious problem as it hopelessly scrambles the PC copy of my Photo Library. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2 PCs (XP) and another MacBook Pro, ITouch

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 10:18 AM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2015 10:03 PM in response to Bob Reynolds

Yes, I see this exact same problem too. I haven't been able to confirm the same on a Mac, but I tried signing out, deleting the folders from my PC and then signing back in only to see the same exact files being incorrectly timestamped. Some of these are pictures and some are videos.

Strange thing, the Shared album on my iPhone 6s has different number of files than what shows on my PC - more on the PC than on the phone.

Not sure what is going on :-(

Oct 28, 2015 5:15 AM in response to rpmm

I did the same thing as you with the same result. It's the same photos each time that get copied incorrectly. I have no issues with Photo Library on my Apple devices (Mac, 2 iPhones and an iPad). It all works perfectly in the Apple domain but it looks like the PC implementation has problems. When you combine this problem with the incomprehensible and hilariously buggy Microsoft Photo App on Windows 10 you get a combination that's pretty much unusable at this point. I will attempt to use Photo Stream instead for now but I'm having problems with it as well on the PC. It seems to get stuck.

Oct 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to rpmm

Update: I tried setting up my Mac with iCloud Shared photos and they show up with bad dates on the Mac as well. Something's messed up in the cloud then? :-(

Separate question - if I update the dates on the PC, will they be "synced" back with the right dates, or get overwritten by the cloud version of the photo/video?

Oct 30, 2015 12:34 PM in response to rpmm

I haven't seen an issue with the iCloud version of my Photo Library. That would be very bad as that's the master copy of my photos.

I don't think the PC version of iCloud does any synching one way or the other once a picture is downloaded. I have made changes and edits on my Mac and they do not get reflected in the PC version of the photo. Edits made to the PC library are not uploaded to iCloud.

Nov 29, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Bob Reynolds

Hi,

Have you figured out any solution? I've got the same issue. I am new to the Mac world and after few months of ownership of a MacBook and an iPhone decided to download some pictures on Mac hard drive and to my Windows OC. Helas! The pics store with the date create, ie date I downloaded them instead of the date taken, which is still visible in the information section. ANy idea how to save with Date taken?

Thank you!

Incorrect date on downloaded photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.