Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font in Dictionary widget and app

Since installing OS X El Capitan version 10.11 the font in Dictionary app and widget has changed from the old Baskerville style font to a plain, boring Helvetica style. It's ugly and spacious and very un-apple.

How can I get the old font back?

New font (scroll down for old font):

User uploaded file

Old font:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2017 10:34 PM

The new Dictionary font is San Francisco. It's fine as a system UI font but not the best choice for more extended reading, including dictionary definitions. Just posting this now because I just upgraded to Sierra. If anyone knows how to switch the font, please let me & Jesper know!

2 replies

Jan 9, 2017 10:54 PM in response to phubenthal

Just did a little digging, and the strange thing is that the DefaultStyle.css file in the app's Resources folder still specifies Baskerville, just as it has in past versions – in fact the entire file is identical to the one in Yosemite – but Dictionary's not using it, even though I do have it on my system.

So my first question is: Is this really the new dictionary font for everyone on Sierra, or is this a problem that's just showing up for me and Jesper?

My second question is, if it is specific to me, how can I fix it? I've tried disabling and reenabling Baskerville but that didn't help.

Font in Dictionary widget and app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.