Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i keep getting an apple notification asking me to finish changing my passcode, how can i stop this?

Since updating to iOS 9.1 I keep getting a notification asking me to "finish changing my passcode" , I have done this but I still get the notification and I still have a red badge with a 1 on the settings icon. When I go in to settings sometimes between the search bar and the flight mode opion I will get , "follow up 1" , when this is selected I get "finish changing your passcode. Your passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud. To finish your passcode enter your new passcode in settings while connected to the Internet.". This has been done several times but I still get the same message. Also my location is switched off but a notification came up on screen that my Apple ID was used to sign into device near London, I have since changed my password and passcode. Can anyone help to resolve this.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1, Also on iPad mini

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 3:13 PM

53 replies

Dec 8, 2015 3:33 PM in response to dianafromswansea

Update: I just updated to ios 9.2. The red badge on the settings icon vanished, finally! Then I received another prompt to finish changing my passcode by connecting to the internet. I reentered my passcode. Then when I went to the home page, I found a red #1 badge on the settings icon. Now I keep following the prompt and it keeps coming back. I'm going around in circles with no solution and no way to get rid of that darn red number one!!! Apple, Help!!!

Mar 16, 2017 1:25 AM in response to dianafromswansea

First off, after seeing Apple use the label "passcode" for the two step authentication so many times, it was ridiculous that it was now asking for the Phone's passcode instead. I wouldn't have thought of that until i saw this thread and had to figure out why everyone was talking about turning off passcode and changing 6 to 4 digits. ...*lightbulb* oh... iPhone passcode.

So i put in the iPhone's passcode. Lets me through and>>>> still has the Follow Up badge. Hit it again. Input iPhone passcode first this time. It lets me through to my iCloud information and.... sits there unresponsive for about 10 seconds. When it responds to touch again I check each of the iCloud settings, back out, and ... it's gone.

Nov 3, 2015 12:37 PM in response to dianafromswansea

Hi Diana, I have the same problem and it's doing my head in now. I have followed a suggestion from the Apple website but short of wiping the phone and restore nothing is working. I have set up some bank / store cards on ApplePay and if I go deleting icloud and setting it up again, it will wipe these and I'll have to go back through the rigmarole of setting them back up again!

I have the annoying red number 1 on top of the settings 'app' which is bugging me because the 'follow up' message has disappeared now so really there is nothing there so why have the number 1???

I am hoping that the next iOS update that comes through has a remedy for this bug and once downloaded, will disappear for good. The London message was a bit off putting too, it was a few days before I plucked up the courage to press the 'allow' key for the fear of a little spotty faced kid sitting in his bedroom hacking into my new phone!

Lets hope someone in the know hears our cries for help soon.

Good luck with yours.

Marc

Nov 8, 2015 4:42 PM in response to marc1050

I too am getting this on brand new Iphone 6 just purchased 3 days ago. Nothing I have done has fixed it. I also get this in the notification area. It takes me to my Icloud account that is already set up. I tried logging in and out and changing my password. Nothing works. I also have a badge on the settings icon on the home screen. I hope the next IOS update fixes this.User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Baz1979

HI Baz1979 - this doesn't work for me - I si,ply cannot get rid of the red badge on the settings icon, even though the Follow Ups 1 option no longer appears at the top of the settings menu. I have tried every option other than a complete wipe of the phone - can't Apple support themselves advise us here? I get the notification on reboot ask get me to complete the process (even though I have done this many times) HELP US APPLE!!!!

Dec 3, 2015 7:15 AM in response to dianafromswansea

This error message is usually because you enabled the Two-factor authentication for Apple ID and the you turned it off and you have the old Apple ID type.

The message pops up to activate the passcode for the Apple ID Two-Factor authentication as it is needed.

Most probably you have switched back to the normal Apple ID and it cannot upload the passcode on iCloud.

It is like the iPhone does not recognise the old type of the Apple ID

To resolve this sign out of icloud from all of your devices.

Sign back in in one of them and enable the Two-Factor authentication again

(Settings-iCloud-Tap on your Apple ID-Paswword and security-Two-factor)

When you set it up go to the settings and press on the notification and change your passcode again (you the use the same one)

Then the setting notification will disappear.

Then you can go to id.apple.com, sign in to manage your Apple ID, edit the security for you Apple ID and turn off the two-factor authentication if you don't need it or want it

You can use the apple ID again to sign into iCloud in all of your devices.

If the Apple ID type is not refreshed in your device either restart your device or sign out of iCloud and sign back in.

Dec 11, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Zonder_ox

Well I now know that Apple reads these posts because they deleted my last post yesterday. So how about some sort of guidance from "the company" on a fix for this defect. I really don't want to enable two factor authentication (again) because it is a huge hassle if you don't have all of your Apple devices handy. I am running the latest version of code, 9.2, and I'm going crazy with the constant nagging on nearly an hourly basis to "finish changing my passcode". My company requires a complex passcode which must be changed regularly. Is this the new normal, constant nagging?

i keep getting an apple notification asking me to finish changing my passcode, how can i stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.