Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview: interpreting links as covering the whole page

Since updating to El Capitan, Preview interprets hyperlinks/page-links as covering most-all of the page. What do I mean? I mean that if there is a link anywhere on the page, then Preview thinks that the size of that link is most (sometimes all) of the page. How do I know Preview is interpreting the link this way? Because my cursor behaves as if it's "hovering" over a link no matter where I go on that page.

I wouldn't care so much if this didn't prevent me from highlighting and annotating. Unless I can start/end a highlight outside the range of the link area, I cannot highlight. When the link covers the whole page, then I cannot highlight at all. Clicking anywhere takes me to the bookmarked page of the link (which is the other reason that this is frustrating).

Screen capture (video): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43761221/Preview-error.mov

screenshot:

User uploaded file

And no: the problem is not the PDF. Adobe Acrobat Pro does not make this error with links (on the same PDF). It hovers when the cursor is precisely over the blue text and it lets might highlight/annotate wherever I need.

What can I do to fix this?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Preview

Posted on Oct 27, 2015 2:53 PM

4 replies

Preview: interpreting links as covering the whole page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.