Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iMac 4K support target display mode?

I'm thinking about getting an iMac 21.5 Inch with 4K display and I was wondering whether it support target display mode. Being the ability to connect my late 2014 MacBook Pro to the iMac and have an extended screen.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 4:35 AM

The 4K iMac doesn't support Target Display Mode. The 4K iMac is using the custom timing controller from the 5K iMac to drive the display at its full resolution at 60Hz. The 4K iMac can drive a single 3840×2160 screen over a DisplayPort cable, but it can't drive a second display at the same resolution as the internal display. This is the reason for the 4K iMac doesn't Target Display Mode, since no current Mac could drive it at its native resolution at 60Hz over a single cable.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Thorpyworpy

The 4K iMac doesn't support Target Display Mode. The 4K iMac is using the custom timing controller from the 5K iMac to drive the display at its full resolution at 60Hz. The 4K iMac can drive a single 3840×2160 screen over a DisplayPort cable, but it can't drive a second display at the same resolution as the internal display. This is the reason for the 4K iMac doesn't Target Display Mode, since no current Mac could drive it at its native resolution at 60Hz over a single cable.

Mar 29, 2016 10:49 AM in response to Dr.Mac.

Dr.Mac,

do you know of any way to display the screen of an Airbook on a 21,5'' iMac 4k Retina as a monitor? Any third party application or interface hardware?

I bought the iMac thinking I could do the target display so that I could visualize my Airbook's screen on it when at home from work...but I now understand it is not "formally" possible.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Antonio

Mar 29, 2016 11:04 AM in response to antoniofromdarien

antoniofromdarien wrote:

Dr.Mac,

do you know of any way to display the screen of an Airbook on a 21,5'' iMac 4k Retina as a monitor? Any third party application or interface hardware?

I bought the iMac thinking I could do the target display so that I could visualize my Airbook's screen on it when at home from work...but I now understand it is not "formally" possible.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Antonio

Please carefully read:

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support Apple is EXTREMELY clear what devices support TDM.

Mar 29, 2016 12:16 PM in response to antoniofromdarien

antoniofromdarien wrote:

ok, this is clear, I made a mistake. I am now asking if an app or some type of hardware exists to still allow for the iMac 4K Retina to be utilized as a display for an airbook.

Yes, you can use an app such as ScreenRecycler however because the performance is so poor I would not recommend it. In short, your iMac cannot be used as a display for an "airbook" or what I think you mean is a MacBook Air.

Mar 29, 2016 2:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your precise reply.

I suspected I would run into poor performance. Indeed I meant Macbook Air.

What if we turn the problem on its head: practically speaking, I need to be able to access the files on my Macbook Air from my iMac when I work at home, without having to have double copies, etc.. Emails I can check on the iMac with Mail no problem and keep everything sync'ed.

Can I connect my Macbook Air with the thunderbolt cable to the iMac and consequently have access to the HD of the Macbook Air and work that way?

Mar 29, 2016 4:33 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

antoniofromdarien wrote:

Dr.Mac,

Please advise.

Thank you.

Antonio

Please carefully read:

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support Apple is EXTREMELY clear what devices support TDM.

TThat is easy, however you should create another thread because that is a totally different subject. You can call it something like remote file sharing.

Does the iMac 4K support target display mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.