Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message on my iPhone - Passcode Requirement

Hello

I have a warning message on my iPhone screen which states:

Passcode Requirement

You must change your iPhone unlock passcode at this time.

My only choice is to click 'Continue', since I cannot do anything else on my iPhone.

Once I click Continue, another message shows up:

Passcode Requirement

To change you passcode, first enter your current passcode.

There is a field to enter my passcode and two button choices 'Emergency' and 'Continue'.

I just get the feeling this is not legit. I never heard of being forced to change your iPhone passcode.

Any ideas?

I have never jailbroken my iPhone. I rebooted and it still happens.

Thank you

Cooch

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1, 128GB

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 8:59 AM

10 replies

Oct 28, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Cooch 22

Is the phone registered with your work at all? Typically this is a sign of an MDM server or an Exchange glitch. If you happen to use Exchange for your email (anything produced by Microsoft from Hotmail, Live, or Outlook) this can happen. Outside of that, it can be an insecure password, so I would recommend checking for any of those first.

Insecure codes start with:

• 196*
  • 197*
  • 198*
  • 199*
  • 200*
  • 201*

But also include:

• 0000 (or any 4 same number combination)
  • 0001 or 0010 or 0100 or 1000 (or any number with this pattern)

Oct 28, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Cooch 22

It may just be a bug with Hotmail, they run off the same servers as an Exchange email would. Unfortunately, that's all I can really think of, as it is a legitimate message that comes up with anything that runs off Microsoft's servers. Would you be able to temporarily remove the Hotmail email from the phone and let me know if it still appears after that?

Oct 28, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Cooch 22

Temporarily changing the lock code is the only way to bypass the message, it's something instated by Exchange's servers to keep the phone more secure. In your case, it really shouldn't be popping up, but it could be a bug with that Hotmail address, unfortunately there isn't going to be a way to bypass it because it's a security measure that the phone is pushing out because of the settings from the email, similarly to having an email from a workplace. In your case, though, it's due to having a Hotmail email address. It isn't wanting anything to do with the actual email password, it's just an added security feature, and an annoying one at that.

Jun 18, 2016 9:16 AM in response to lillanaa

I got the same message Friday at work, but:

• While we use Exchange/Outlook at work for email, calendaring, etc, I don't use it myself and don't have any client apps for any MS products installed (or any other 3rd party apps, for that matter, except one utility for our printer at home).
  • I wasn't (and don't) connect to the wi-fi at work, and have my phone set to ask before joining new networks. (More on this in a minute.)
  • I don't use Hotmail either, though I have a personal domain set up through Yahoo.
  • There was a contractor working on our network on Friday, though I don't know what he was doing, and it was near the end of the day that I got the message for the first time.
  • After I left the office and got to the parking deck, the message went away on its own and hasn't returned since (it's currently Saturday -- 6/18/16).

Putting all that together, what I suspect (in a general way) is that when the wi-fi came back up after whatever work was done on it was finished, it discovered my phone (or vice versa) and somehow the forced passcode change that originated with Exchange collided with my "ask before joining new networks", resulting in the phone not being able to resolve the conflict. A forced restart (Home + Sleep) didn't fix it, but since it was quitting time anyway, I figured it would be smarter to research it before coughing up my passcode to what may or may not be malware. And once out of range of the network, everything returned to normal -- no passcode change required.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens when I get back to work Monday morning. Watch this space.

Message on my iPhone - Passcode Requirement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.