Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i move my playlists file to my new hard drive

I got a new hard drive and my songs are showing in ITunes, but not my playlists. I see them on my computer, but cannot seem to get them to appear in the playlist section of ITunes.

HP PC-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 10:27 AM

I had the same problem and figured out how to fix it.

My old PC was Windows 2007, where my iTunes folder and library files were in C:/Users/Mike/My Music/Music

My new PC is Windows 10. It takes the first 5 characters of your online Microsoft account (required) as your computer user name, so in my new PC the iTunes folder and library were in C:/Users/namas/Music (to find the path in Windows 10, open up file explorer, right click on "Music" and select "properties, then look at the "Location" tab)

The solution:

In my new PC, I double clicked on the file "iTunes Music Library.xml" it opened in WordPad as a text document with all the XML code. I could see my playlists associated with my old PC path C:/Users/Mike/My Music/Music. I went to the "Select and Replace" feature of Word Pad and put the old path to be replace with the new path, C:/Users/namas/Music. It took about 10min for it to run (my library file is almost 10MG). When it completed, I saved the file, started up iTunes, and all my playlists showed up!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 10:27 AM in response to EsmeeLynne

I had the same problem and figured out how to fix it.

My old PC was Windows 2007, where my iTunes folder and library files were in C:/Users/Mike/My Music/Music

My new PC is Windows 10. It takes the first 5 characters of your online Microsoft account (required) as your computer user name, so in my new PC the iTunes folder and library were in C:/Users/namas/Music (to find the path in Windows 10, open up file explorer, right click on "Music" and select "properties, then look at the "Location" tab)

The solution:

In my new PC, I double clicked on the file "iTunes Music Library.xml" it opened in WordPad as a text document with all the XML code. I could see my playlists associated with my old PC path C:/Users/Mike/My Music/Music. I went to the "Select and Replace" feature of Word Pad and put the old path to be replace with the new path, C:/Users/namas/Music. It took about 10min for it to run (my library file is almost 10MG). When it completed, I saved the file, started up iTunes, and all my playlists showed up!

how do i move my playlists file to my new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.