Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb Publishing Solution in El Capitan

Not really a question but more an important solution I wanted to provide. After a recent upgrade to El Capitan I noticed that iWeb links were no longer visible after I updated two websites that I manage. The links were there - you could hover over them on the website and see the name of the hyperlink action to be taken - and they even worked but simply weren't visible. A major functionality obstacle.

After much investigation I published the websites to a local folder on my drive and then ftp'd onto the the hosted domain sites. File comparisons revealed fewer files published to the hosted domain site than the local folder. I deleted all files and folders on the hosted domain site folder and uploaded all files from my local website to those folders. Worked like a charm!

Very important information for those still using iWeb. Yes, it's an extra step but will save your behind should you run into this situation.

iWeb '08

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 8:18 PM

Most likely you just had to go to the File menu -> Publish Entire Site to republish all of your files. I don't think this is an El Capitan issue.

You also noted that you are using iWeb '08. Are you sure that is the version you have? iWeb 08 did not allow direct publishing to FTP and I don't believe it works on OS X 10.9 and later...

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2015 8:18 PM in response to stephenpeterson

Most likely you just had to go to the File menu -> Publish Entire Site to republish all of your files. I don't think this is an El Capitan issue.

You also noted that you are using iWeb '08. Are you sure that is the version you have? iWeb 08 did not allow direct publishing to FTP and I don't believe it works on OS X 10.9 and later...

Oct 29, 2015 4:54 PM in response to charliemacOS

Update. After further investigation it indeed appears to be an iWeb and/or El Capitan issue. Today I migrated another client to CPanel web hosting. Brand new empty domain in which I published the iWeb files - from a different user profile than the previous referenced issue above - in the manner you suggested (File/Publish Entire Site). Again no links visible. Used the FTP client to log into the site, delete all files in the just created folder and uploaded a local copy of the website into the hosted folder, after which all links were visible and worked.

Oct 30, 2015 1:05 AM in response to charliemacOS

Basically what the OP is saying is that they used the iWeb built in ftp to publish the entire site to the host/sever and no links were shown. When they used an ftp programme such as Cyberduck to connect to the server and then upload the files, the links works, so one would have to suspect an issue both between iWeb and El Capitan - not sure what, but there must be something in El Capitan that is knocking out the correct working of iWeb's in built ftp.

The solution seems to be that you need to publish your site to a local folder and then use an ftp programme to upload it.

Oct 31, 2015 5:59 AM in response to charliemacOS

As correctly stated by Ethmoid, I am indeed publishing from iWeb to a local folder on my machine and then uploading the files via ftp to the hosting sever. simple and straightforward. As for it being El Capitan upgrade related I cannot ascertain that completely since I have no other machines running Yosemite and iWeb. I only know that this started happening after my El Capitan upgrade.

I can also say that since the upgrade if I create a new link and format my text (font style, size, color, etc.) and publish straight from iWeb to the hosting server all formatting is lost in the publishing process and although a new link is visible (sometimes) and hyperlinks correctly the link is essentially a 7 to 8 point blue hyperlink in what appears to be Times Roman.

Nov 5, 2015 3:16 PM in response to DD445

Same problem here. Big commercial problem for me. Will take a look at publishing from local folder tomorrow. What is the best FTP programme to use please?

Nov 7, 2015 6:59 AM in response to stephenpeterson

Same problem. It definitely is an El Capitan problem. Only some links appear when published after upgrading to El Capitan. They all are functional but some are invisible. Actual image links work and appear(jpeg, psd, gif) and text links work and appear. Text boxes used as links work and appear. Shapes used as links function but disappear. Discovered this the hard way. I would not suggest using Publish entire site until you have addressed these issues. I had to rework my site and discover ways around the problem. Perhaps following the op's advice is a good idea. I just changed my links into text, text box or jpeg, psd or gif files. Seems to be working fine.

iWeb Publishing Solution in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.