Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resolve error This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

Hi, Last time I upgraded from W7 to W10. After this happened I was notified there was a update for iTunes and so I updated through the updater and after this completed I hooked up my iPhone 5c and shortly noticed after iTunes popped up again that it would not show the iPhone icon so I can add/remove anything. I uninstall iTunes and reinstalled. As soon as it ran again it prompted me with the error "This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

Have done this 9 times now. How can I resolve this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 11:18 AM

8 replies

Nov 7, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Nightforce2

Please do the clean install of iTunes. First of all, you need to go to control panel and uninstall everything associated with iTunes such as Bonjour, Apple device support, Apple application support etc. There can be problem with uninstalling these things,if there is then first repair and uninstall. After deleting everything associated with iTunes and please restart the computer and do the clean install of iTunes.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2015 8:20 PM in response to akslive

Thanks AKSlive. Unfortunately its not that simple. AppleMobileSupport always rolls back during installation thus not installing or uninstalling properly. It is reaching some point in the install process that makes it quit everytime. Even if I delete all directory's in ProgramData, Common Files, and Registry. They do not seem to make a difference.

Uninstall order is:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support 32-bit
Apple Application Support 64-bit

DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW

DIFXAPP: INFO: Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers\usbaapl64.inf' (Plug and Play).

DIFXAPP: INFO: Could not open file C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbaapl64.inf_amd64_14c8400756ec 0e3b\usbaapl64.inf. (Error code 0xE0000100: The style of the INF is different than what was requested.)

DIFXAPP: ERROR: PnP Install failed. (Error code 0x3EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.)

DIFXAPP: INFO: Attempting to rollback ...

DIFXAPP: INFO: No devices to rollback

DIFXAPP: INFO: Successfully removed '{9AA3828A-F852-11DB-8E29-6C6B55D89593}' from reference list of driver store entry 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbaapl64.inf_amd64_14c8400756e c0e3b\usbaapl64.inf'

DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x3EE)

DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers\usbaapl64.inf'

DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x3EE

DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 1006 (0x3EE)

CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 15:27:07: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Action 15:27:07: Rollback. Rolling back action:

Rollback: MsiInstallDrivers

Rollback: MsiRollbackInstall

I believe this to be the problem. That being the usbaapl64( Plug and Play driver ) is not being installed due to some misconfigured setting? Not sure how to go forward with this one as reinstalling via the INF install method for drivers does not seem to correct the issue either. Going to test one more route.

Nov 7, 2015 11:19 PM in response to Nightforce2

Ok got it to work! Just I thought was the problem. Since it was a PNP package problem I had to flush the Install package for the mobile driver. This is what I did to correct it.

1.) Open a Command Prompt elevated as a adminatrator.

2.) Type without quotes: " pnputil -e > %userprofile%\desktop\pnp.log " ( This will show a log file on your desktop. Open it up and look for something similar to this )

Published name : oem1.inf <-- This is what you are looking for so log this on paper or remember it.

Driver package provider : Apple, Inc. <-- This shows you its the Apple driver package, should be the only one. Very important! Do not remove if its anything else!!!

Class : Universal Serial Bus controllers

Driver date and version : 05/18/2015 6.0.9999.67

Signer name :

Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

3.) Once you have the file name from above. Type in the command prompt that is still open: " pnputil -d oem1.inf ". This will delete the driver package.

4.) Once the driver package shows its successfully deleted. Uninstall all iTunes software starting from top to bottom of this list. They must be in this exact order!!!

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

iTunes

Apple Software Update

Apple Mobile Device Support

Bonjour

Apple Application Support 32-bit

Apple Application Support 64-bit

5.) Once all of the iTunes software is uninstalled. Clean your cache by using CCleaner ( Slim build ). Once installed make sure these two options are selected specifically. Temporary Files, Old Prefetch. Once that is done " Run Cleaner ". Wait for it to be done and reboot your PC.

6.) Reinstall with a fresh setup file from http://www.apple.com/itunes/.

If all went well you will be able to see your iPhone connect as usual. Mine took about 2 min after the confirmation of allowing this computer to sync to your iPhone. Anyways hope this helps someone else it was annoying but hey! its fixed now! 🙂

Dec 1, 2015 8:58 AM in response to CHarrisMedia

The problem is it leaves behind a USB PNP apple driver. Removing it allows the installation to run like it should. They should really use a install package that checks for problems like this during the install process. If you have a "Microsoft" driver for oem1 check the others for a apple driver. oem1 is not your only option just an example.

How to resolve error This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.