Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Audio Issues with 9.x on iPhone 6s+

Have a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX head unit connected to the 6s+ via USB. Had no issues prior to the 9.X updates using a iPhone 6. Upgraded both OS and Phone and since then have been having problems with either no audio output (thou UI says it's playing) or static (digital noise) screeching my speakers in stead of music. Problem persist on the iPhone after disconnecting and requires a reboot of the phone. After reboot connecting back to head unit works fine (don't need to reboot head unit). This happens almost every other time I connect the phone.

I am currently investigating turning off blue tooth and only using the tethered USB connection, thinking it might be a new conflict between BT audio and CarPlay audio corrupting the audio stack on the phone, but don't have enough data yet to say it makes a difference.

Is this a known bug, have been unable to find any information on the problem.

Not sure this is best place to post, didn't see a CarPlay forum.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1, audio playback issue with CarPlay

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 1:59 PM

21 replies

Oct 29, 2015 10:05 PM in response to DCgreene45

I turned Bluetooth off on my phone and it seems to have stopped the issue. Not a fix, a workaround, since I really prefer to keep my Bluetooth paired with head unit for those times I don't want to connect carplay. Only been a day or so, and haven't had it happen since I turned off BT, you might want to give this a try as well.

What's the best way to contact Apple about this issue? Be nice to get a fix in an update.

Oct 30, 2015 8:18 AM in response to WoodyMac425

The restart is the only thing that gets me connected - I had tried turning bluetooth off, but I think only after I had established a connection. I'll leave it off for good and see what happens. I'm going to call apple and ask them - I paid for apple care, I'll see if I can get anything out of it. Hopefully enough calls and they'll doing something (and hopefully someone reads these boards!).

Dec 2, 2015 2:04 PM in response to WoodyMac425

IM also experiencing this. I've got an iPhone 6 on the latest os and a Pioneer avic5000. Rebooting almost every time I get in car just to get music to play via CarPlay. Really annoying. I also get the occasional blasts of digital static. I have to admit that CarPlay has been a very disappointing experience so far, riddled with bugs and crashes. I just don't know if it's an apple issue or a pioneer issue.

Dec 14, 2015 2:06 PM in response to WoodyMac425

I have the same issues. iPhone 6 with iOS 9.2 and Pioneer Avic f60dab fw 1.11.

Even if I unplug the iPhone from carplay, until I restart it I have this problem.

Because of this bug, sometimes it makes me iphone this problem although it has been linked to carplay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu112hpcbvpkuql/Video%2029-11-15%2C%2017%2019%2045.mov ?dl=0

Another problem, when I use carplay once I unplug my iPhone, my apple watch transfer all calls that I make to iphone and those that i receive don't appear on apple watch.

Dec 29, 2015 5:43 AM in response to WoodyMac425

I am experiencing a similar problem. I have an iPhone 6S Plus (16GB Space Gray) and a Kenwood DDX9902S. After a few minutes of being plugged in to the car, the carplay features stop responding. If I skip the current audio track it will immediately begin playing the next track, but audio will stop again. The track timer continues to work but audio is not streaming.

I don't know what to do. This seems like it's certainly an iPhone software issue. I'm running iOS 9.2 on my phone and this is driving me absolutely insane. Apple, please help.

Jan 14, 2016 3:02 PM in response to WoodyMac425

iPhone 6s and a '16 Accord with CarPlay - same issues - ongoing conflict between BT and tethered connectivity. Lock-ups, need to reboots, etc. Disappointing as I was hoping for a better sorted solution from something sold together by Apple/Honda.

Hopefully iOS 9.3 should fix the issue as full wireless connectivity is rumored.

Jan 15, 2016 12:53 PM in response to JPucc

So happy to see I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Also happy to see that this issue does not appear to be related ONLY to the AVIC-8000NEX. I was worried I had wasted a ton of money on a third party receiver, but I suppose these issues might still be fixable in future software/firmware updates.

I have the exact same issues as reported in the original post, and my phone suffers also from the same sporadic audio issues Ruspa1978 described in his/her video.

When CarPlay works as it should, it's like magic. But it's about the buggiest Apple software I've ever used.

Can someone comment in general on the advantages of connecting over bluetooth and through the lightning port? I literally never have ANY need to interact with he Pioneer UI — should I just disable bluetooth? Will Siri mic and phone calls still work hands-free?

Jan 16, 2016 8:04 PM in response to WoodyMac425

Similar problem (and other weird problems) here with iPhone 6 and AVH-4000NEX. Latest firmware on deck and phone. Frequent (6/10) no audio issues using apple's audio apps. Only once had the screeching sound on a podcast. Occasionally (3/10) slow to respond to commands. And sometimes (1/10) the screen is displayed larger than the actual screen on the deck.

Spotify is all messed up, so I'm going to remove it and see that helps.

Android Auto works fine with an old motox, so I'll use it til get things worked out.

Feb 7, 2016 2:19 PM in response to WoodyMac425

I fixed this bug by connecting iphone before turning on the car radio. By doing so, the iphone does not have time to establish a bluetooth connection and connects immediately with carplay.

I think it is a bug of airplay ios, which crashes in the switch between bluetooth and carplay mode.

When this crash occurs also affects coninuity features on mac.

Mar 9, 2016 10:28 PM in response to James King8

I too am having the same exact problems as everyone else in this thread.

I own a Pioneer NEX AVH-4100 and on occassion experience these same issue:

1) Plug iphone 6s Plus into usb1

2) CarPlay starts and open/play music app.

3) Sounds of digital scratches or no sound at all play while iPhone and headunit shows they are playing the current track.

4) Lose my **** (get upset)

5) unplug then Quick reset with home and lock button on iPhone.

6) home screen, then repeat step 1 & 2.

My problem is solved after step 6 and my music plays normally from then on.

Apple needs to address this issue with their CarPlay software. They advertise on tv for this feature with their iPhone, but is buggy with the Pioneer NEX models. Please update your customers Apple and let them know you at least acknowledge this problem!!

My quick solution is temporary, but I hope this helps others.

CarPlay Audio Issues with 9.x on iPhone 6s+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.