Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't download El Capitan

I tried to install El Capitan when it was first released, but it would not complete installation. I rebooted to Yosemite (10.10.5) OK. Now I try to download the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.1) from the Mac App Store. I press the 'download' button and I get the waiting symbol for several hours, but no download. I have checked the Applications Folder to see if it has downloaded anyway and it hasn't. I have 1.6TB of space available on my hard drive. I have no problems downloading any other updates and have done so today. Any ideas how I can get El Capitan 10.11.1 to download?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 3:26 PM

1 reply

Oct 28, 2015 3:28 PM in response to richardfromgainsborough

Apps such as Little Snitch, Growl, and MacKeeper, can prevent updates and upgrades from downloading

Disable anti virus software if installed

Check the firewall in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Make sure Gatekeeper is enabled

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Make sure either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and identified developers is selected.

If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

If nothing above applies, restart your internet modem, your Mac, and your Ri-Fi router if you use one then try downloading El Capitan.

I can't download El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.