Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HFS+ Drive not visible on Windows 10 Bootcamp partition with support software

Hi,

I recently installed Windows 10 x64 with Boot Camp onto my rMBP. I also installed the support software onto the windows partition (drivers and whatnot). I read on the internet that with this apple support software (I installed version 6.0), I should have READ ONLY access to my OS X HFS+ partition. But for some reason, I do not have access to it. I have gone into Disk Management and tried to assign the HFS+ partition a drive letter, but windows doesn't even recognize it. I don't think whatever support software I installed included the HFS+ drivers.

Does anyone else have this problem? Where can I get a hold of the HFS+ drivers for Windows 10. I want read only support, and I want the version that apple releases.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 10:46 PM

I finally solved it!

This literally took hours out of my day, but I now know what the problem was. It turned out that the drivers actually were installed. by verified this checking for the presence of the following files:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AppleHFS.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AppleMNT.sys

The reason that the drive was unreadable is because they were encrypted with FileVault. I disabled FileVault in OS X, and when I booted into Windows again, the partition was mounted.

There might be a way to use FileVault and Boot Camp together, I'm not sure. I read in a few places, however, that if you enable FileVault after installing Windows with Boot Camp, you can have your drive encrypted and accessible from windows. (This is just a hunch however, I'll have to look into it more)I'm going to experiment around with this when I have time later.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2015 10:46 PM in response to joosshh

I finally solved it!

This literally took hours out of my day, but I now know what the problem was. It turned out that the drivers actually were installed. by verified this checking for the presence of the following files:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AppleHFS.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AppleMNT.sys

The reason that the drive was unreadable is because they were encrypted with FileVault. I disabled FileVault in OS X, and when I booted into Windows again, the partition was mounted.

There might be a way to use FileVault and Boot Camp together, I'm not sure. I read in a few places, however, that if you enable FileVault after installing Windows with Boot Camp, you can have your drive encrypted and accessible from windows. (This is just a hunch however, I'll have to look into it more)I'm going to experiment around with this when I have time later.

HFS+ Drive not visible on Windows 10 Bootcamp partition with support software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.