Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipad2 (apps) iOS 9.1 keeps crashing after upgrade?

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 12:37 AM

13 replies

Nov 20, 2015 3:50 PM in response to Yupaza

My iPad 2 keeps crashing since IOS 9.1. it is virtually useless.

I was planning to buy the new iPad Pro, but I've lost confidence in Apple to deliver basic computer service.

Too bad .. have used Apple products since 1982.

Since the iPhone came along and Apple became basically a phone company, they have lost focus on their computer business. What a shame.

Nov 20, 2015 4:49 PM in response to jazzjunkiejoe

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.
Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.
If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.
Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.
If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.
Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.
If using Safari is still causing issues,
Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.
I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.
I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.
In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.
Try turning on Reduced Motion.
This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.
In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".
You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.
In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".
Try a reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Nov 20, 2015 4:53 PM in response to jazzjunkiejoe

If these are all a fail for you, do a backup of your iPad connected up to a computer and sync'd and backed up over iTunes.

Make sure your iTunes version is up to date.

Once you have made that iTunes backup, disconnect your iPad from the computer.

From the iPad, in the Settings App under General, in the right column, look for Reset and do a complete Reset and Erase to restore the iPad to like new start.

When going through the setup procedure, initially, setup your iPad as new. NOT A RESTORE FROM ITUNES! Do not do that, yet.

Once, the iPad has gone through the entire setup as new process and you have arrived at the home screen, NOW is the time to connect your iPad 2 via USB to your computer and have it connect with iTunes.

iTunes SHOULD now return a message asking if you want to Restore from Backup. Click Yes or OK and let iTunes proceed with restoring your last iPad 2 backup.

During this, your iPad 2 should have text on the screen saying Restore in Progress. Once this is done and iTunes resyncs the iPad, eject the iPad from iTunes and disconnect the USB cable.

Your iPad is Restored.

Check it out to see how it is performing.

Nov 22, 2015 2:22 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the reply, but yes I have, and none of it has worked. Sorry to be such a cynic but It's so frustrating that a once perfectly good iPad 2 now works no better than a cheapo supermarket tablet. Let's face it, when Apple developed iOS 9, iPad 2 users weren't first on their list. I think the ethos was ( as we say her in Yorkshire) " it 'll be reet, they'll get over it and upgrade" . Well this user will, but it will be to an Android device!

Nov 29, 2015 2:53 PM in response to MichelPM

The way I feel at the moment, I'll take my chances. Just discovered this evening I can't access any of the music I've bought through iTunes, though my iPad because of this ill concieved upgrade. I don't know if you (MichelPM) work for Apple or not, but whichever way you look at it, for otherwise loyal Apple customers, iOS 9 is turning out to be a disaster.

Nov 29, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Marktbike

Thanks. I have abandoned iTunes (after using for decades) as far as storing and listening to my music (90,000 songs) is concerned and gone to the OS X application "Swinsian" which is either free or very low cost (can't remember). It quickly found my music and almost instantly looked, felt and played ally music just like iTunes. It is clean and not all trashed up with Apple ads touting their movies, sings, etc. "Swinish" doesn't have all the iTunes features, but it is clean and works great. Also, "Swinsian" doesn't communicate with my IOS devices, so I use another excellent OS X application called "Syncios" which is great for moving music and audiobooks on and off all my IOS devices.

So, if you use OS X, you might want to consider these two applications which worked great for me and eliminated many issues and concerns Apple has developed since they've decided to sell watches, cars, TVs and other assorted trinkets and, in the process, made their IOS & OS X users second class citizens.

Oct 20, 2016 9:32 PM in response to Bus man

I will help you.

What is your iPad model and storage size and what are your issues?

I apologize for my previous comments made to an irate poster who started wailing on me for no good reason!

So, again, my apologies that you had to read my rather inapprpriate comments.

Sometimes ( not in a very long time) something like this happens and I don't respond favorably to that kind of abuse.

So, again, sorry.

What's your issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.