Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP guest connect URL/SMB not so hot

Have a few hundred clients connecting to a 10.10.x Server successfully via SMB with guest access. But the problem is that files uploaded by one client are not often seen by other clients unless the other client restarts, or logs out/logs back in.

But if I switch clients to connect via "afp://guest:@servername/dumbshare" in a config profile as a login item, the user is confronted with a login dialog, and we do not want that.

2 problems, but need one solution.

thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 9:32 AM

9 replies

Oct 31, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Hey Alberto

Thanks for the reply. Tried this but this doesn't log the user in as guest. Users do have network accounts, but they need to all be guest. All files uploaded need to be available to all, and the guest account is the most reliable way to do that. and that's working fine with smb, but the real problem is that new files uploaded are not showing up for users already logged in. Just thought that switching to afp might solve that problem.

thanks

Oct 31, 2015 11:26 AM in response to eduAdminNYC

A few time back I made a script to update the contents of an external drive that I always carry with me, with the content of one of my server's folder. I wanted the server's folder be mounted as a guest in the usual /Volume without user interaction

The line that perform the mount is

osascript -s o -e 'mount volume "smb://guest:@server/Repository"'

changing smb to afp does the same thing

osascript -s o -e 'mount volume "afp://server/Repository"'

I hope it helps.

Nov 1, 2015 2:29 AM in response to eduAdminNYC

Here some more examples to connect as Guest to an AFP share from the command line. The lines in red are the result of the mount command, without any arguments.

The osascript doesn't require to create the target directory.

osascript -s o -e 'mount volume "afp://server/Repository"'

//;AUTH=No%20User%20Authent@server/Repository on /Volumes/Repository (afpfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by alberto)

The following two lines are equivalent. The key word here is AUTH, and must be in capitals

mkdir /Volumes/Repository; mount_afp afp://";AUTH=No User Authent"@server/Repository /Volumes/Repository
mkdir /Volumes/Repository; mount_afp “afp://;AUTH=No%20User%20Authent@server/Repository” /Volumes/Repository

//;AUTH=No%20User%20Authent@server/Repository on /Volumes/Repository (afpfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by alberto)

mkdir /Volumes/Repository; mount_afp afp://server/Repository /Volumes/Repository

The following line is Bonjour style mount

mkdir /Volumes/Repository; mount_afp afp://server._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Repository /Volumes/Repository

//;AUTH=No%20User%20Authent@server._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Repository on /Volumes/Repository (afpfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by alberto)

In all examples, when the share is unmounted, target directory under /Volume is automatically deleted. As I previously wrote my user is an OD user and my computer is bound to OD.

Nov 13, 2015 10:10 PM in response to eduAdminNYC

> … afp://server/share … credentials dialog …

Does the client run Yosemite and does that dialogue offer a Guest radio button?

For me:

• OS X 10.11.1 client offers that radio button when making an AFP connection to 10.9.5
  • OS X 10.9.5 client does not offer that button when making an AFP connection to 10.11.1.

Related, in Twitter: can OS X 10.11.1 no longer make a guest AFP connection to a 10.11.1 server?

Apple Filing Protocol Programming Guide: AFP Version Differences (2012-12-13) suggests no change since Mac OS X 10.8.

mount_afp(8) manual page for OS X 10.9

AFP guest connect URL/SMB not so hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.