Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW can I open a spreadsheet saved with Appleworks? Now I have ElCapitan and (ugh) Pages and my old file is LOCKED. Any suggestions? Text edit opens, but is gibberish.

The old appleworks (5? 6? don't know) spreadsheet can't be opened with pages or Numbers. Does anyone know how to open it? Text Edit opens but it is gibberish. I NEED the information from the amortization scheduled in the spreadsheet.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), SOFTWARE: Appleworks now Pages

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 2:02 PM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2016 5:33 PM in response to scotthicks

"You can do this with iWork '09 for any AppleWorks files."

Not quite.

Numbers '09 will open Applworks 6 spreadsheet files.

Pages '09 will open AppleWorks 6 word processing files (but will have difficulty with WP files containing frames from the other modules.

Keynote '09 will open AppleWorks 6 presentation files.

None of the iWork '09 applications will open AppleWorks (any version) draw files or paint files.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 28, 2016 9:45 AM in response to orvillefromparker

Knowing Barry, he doesn't have issues with iWork or iLife & definitely not AppleWorks.

iLife is not part or nor related to iWork other than both suites were created & now abandoned by Apple.

If you're having a problem with an iLife app you should post your question in an iLife forum. Choose the appropriate forum from the links at the top of the iLife Communities page.

HOW can I open a spreadsheet saved with Appleworks? Now I have ElCapitan and (ugh) Pages and my old file is LOCKED. Any suggestions? Text edit opens, but is gibberish.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.