Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 7 Pro - Rotated Videos go Black in El Capitan

Hi all,

I've seen a few posts about this with no real solution. It affects various transforms to MOV files generated by Quicktime 7 Pro. If you apply a rotation, or a mask, or some other AV transforms the video turns black. This doesn't affect newly generated videos eg from iPhone 6S Plus, but affects all previously generated videos. Does anyone know of a work around?

I realise QTX is meant to "replace" QT7, but there is nothing to replace the functionality QT7 Pro and QT7 Pro is still live and available to purchase from apple.com so should at least work with the current version of OS X.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 7:24 PM

I share this issue. For me it's just the rotated videos. Forgive possibly ignorant observations below... maybe a clue hidden there will help with a fix.

For now, I launch whatever videos I wish to see in 7 Pro, and if they pop up black, I go into "Show Movie Properties", select Video Track and hit the Reset button, it restores all of mine so far to immediately playable in QT 7 Pro, but unrotated of course, and then I save them. Then I open them in QT X and rotate them with that, and save the changes (close video window to get prompt). Then they work in QT 7 Pro or QT X with the desired rotation.

Since QT X doesn't offer many of the QT 7 Pro-applied transformations & settings, no hope with this approach for more sophisticated changes, and hardly convenient, either, but it works for rotation.

Maybe a batch approach (script) might be possible to restore such rotated "black" videos—but obviously not a proper solution.

Is it not odd that the QT 7 Pro-rotated (and possibly other transformations & settings too) videos that are black in QT 7 Pro, play open & play fine in QT X, as rotated by QT 7 Pro? Like QT 7 Pro doesn't understand what it did anymore, but QT X does; and QT 7 Pro understands what QT X does.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2015 7:24 PM in response to dylanodonnell

I share this issue. For me it's just the rotated videos. Forgive possibly ignorant observations below... maybe a clue hidden there will help with a fix.

For now, I launch whatever videos I wish to see in 7 Pro, and if they pop up black, I go into "Show Movie Properties", select Video Track and hit the Reset button, it restores all of mine so far to immediately playable in QT 7 Pro, but unrotated of course, and then I save them. Then I open them in QT X and rotate them with that, and save the changes (close video window to get prompt). Then they work in QT 7 Pro or QT X with the desired rotation.

Since QT X doesn't offer many of the QT 7 Pro-applied transformations & settings, no hope with this approach for more sophisticated changes, and hardly convenient, either, but it works for rotation.

Maybe a batch approach (script) might be possible to restore such rotated "black" videos—but obviously not a proper solution.

Is it not odd that the QT 7 Pro-rotated (and possibly other transformations & settings too) videos that are black in QT 7 Pro, play open & play fine in QT X, as rotated by QT 7 Pro? Like QT 7 Pro doesn't understand what it did anymore, but QT X does; and QT 7 Pro understands what QT X does.

Aug 13, 2016 3:43 PM in response to dylanodonnell

Hi,

Now with El Capitan Quicktime 7 Pro all its features work only with H.264 movies.

So you need first to export your movie to H.264 with QT7. Then you can again perform rotation, masking, etc.

If you have a lot of movies to convert you can use "QT Amateur.app", a small app which uses QT to perform a batch conversion.

Here is what I learned with tries and errors...

Quicktime 7 Pro - Rotated Videos go Black in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.