Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot share HomeKit controls

i have the new HomeKit enabled Phillips Hue system. Siri voice control works great on my device and Apple Watch. I set up the system. I've followed the apple instructions and invited my husband to share via iCloud. It shows up successfully in Homekit on his end and it shows I'm sharing with him on my end. However, Siri can't find any devices to control. I ask her to set scene but she can't find devices.

WHat hat the heck are we doing wrong???

iPhone

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:33 PM

Invitation Failed

Could not invite “iCloud email address” because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud.

Tried all fixes:

removing all existing guests—DON’T DO THIS. You will be worse off than when you started

Attempted to send invite from “guest” HomeKit to the “host” HomeKit—only to find out, ironically, the the guest HomeKit didn’t recognize that the host address was registered with iCloud.

I was able to invite a test account that I set up, but once I revoked the access, I was unable to reinvite the test account.

It appears as though once you either cancel an invite or remove a guest—you cannot reinvite them.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. I had removed my wife in an attempt to add my daughter—now I am the only one who can control our “smart” home.

This is a huge issue.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 7:33 PM in response to dvanryzin

Invitation Failed

Could not invite “iCloud email address” because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud.

Tried all fixes:

removing all existing guests—DON’T DO THIS. You will be worse off than when you started

Attempted to send invite from “guest” HomeKit to the “host” HomeKit—only to find out, ironically, the the guest HomeKit didn’t recognize that the host address was registered with iCloud.

I was able to invite a test account that I set up, but once I revoked the access, I was unable to reinvite the test account.

It appears as though once you either cancel an invite or remove a guest—you cannot reinvite them.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. I had removed my wife in an attempt to add my daughter—now I am the only one who can control our “smart” home.

This is a huge issue.

Dec 11, 2017 2:20 AM in response to jeckart3d

Same here. I am not able to add accounts to homekit. Logged off from icloud and logged on again without results. Apple homekit does not recognize the other apple ID to add to home kit.

Always the same error: Could not invite “iCloud email address” because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud.

I have tried to add the primary owner by the guest. Again the error. Wanted to set up some lights here. Please fix this Apple.

Dec 11, 2017 10:57 PM in response to jeckart3d

Deleted all my invites and now cant add them back I get the same message. All of us have 2 factor authorisation and all of us had access before all running IOS11.2

iPad Pro as Hub and Apple TV as Hub

Iphone 7 Iphone 6s Iphone 6s and iPhone 7 all unable to send invites to. so now I'm the only one who can access the home automation unless via the hub. I have now bought a google Home so everyone can give voice commands to the lights. this is a real problem and apple seem very silent here. very very disappointed in homekit. this is beyond frustrating

Dec 12, 2017 9:51 AM in response to jeckart3d

I am having the same problem. We are using an AppleTV Gen4 as a hub. I can control the devices without issue on my iPhone. I added members of my family to the Home app. They are definitely iCloud IDs as they are part of my Family Share and the app even lists them for me to select. My wife has an iPhone, iPad and Watch. I added her phone and it worked, but her iPad did not. I tried to add from the iPad and got the "Could not invite “iCloud email address because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud" message. Trying to figure it out, I deleted her from the Home app to start again. That was a mistake. Now I cannot add her back as I continue to get the aforementioned error message.

FYI: Our AppleIDs are on a non-Apple domain but that has never affected their functionality to date (years).

Help Apple!

Dec 12, 2017 10:54 AM in response to dvanryzin

I started getting the bogus error message "Apple ID is not registered with iCloud" sometime after Nov 22, 2017, when I sent my last successful invitation, and Dec 10, when I installed 2 new devices on my network. When they failed to show up on my iPhone after I installed them on my wife's, I revoked the old invitation and tried to send a new one.

A web search showed me the solution of removing all old invitations and issuing new ones. This works for some people, however if it fails it can leave you unable to send new invitations to those you revoked or anyone else.

I suspect that this bogus error message is a catch-all which really means "We can't send an invitation and we don't know why."

I have tried all the solutions given here, and spent two days at Apple telephonic help, 4 different people, removed and reinstalled all 20 of my devices, factory restored both my iPhones and my Apple TV 4 hub, replaced my router, and still have the same problem.

Dammit Apple, this is a disgrace. We pay you a premium for software that works. How about doing your job?

Dec 12, 2017 1:55 PM in response to dvanryzin

I saw this today ...after deleting Homekit invitations etc... In a statement to 9to5Mac, Apple said it had resolved the problem with a server-side update. “The issue affecting HomeKit users running iOS 11.2 has been fixed,” the company wrote. “The fix temporarily disables remote access to shared users, which will be restored in a software update early next week.”

Dec 13, 2017 8:08 AM in response to dvanryzin

Just piling on hoping squeaky wheel gets the grease. Same "is not an iCloud email" error when trying to add my wife. She has an iPhone 7 and iPad 2. Has a valid iCloud account. Initially I was able to add her, but she could not see all the devices. So I tried removing her and adding back and that is when the error started. Everything else seems to be working.

Interestingly when she tries to login at http://appleid.apple.com it initially logs in but then immediately logs out saying this session has timed out for your security. I am suspicious something is up with her iCloud account.

Dec 13, 2017 10:13 AM in response to dirtbikejunkie

I am having the same issue. No iCloud. This is an awful time for this bug to pop up. Christmas guests can not control the lights in their room. I uninvited everyone on my list and now can’t add them back! My husband has been so frustrated with all the bugs with the new iOS he wants to swap to Samsung! This may have just sealed the deal. Apple please fix this!

Dec 13, 2017 12:52 PM in response to dvanryzin

I ran into the 'not registered with iCloud' issue as well. Been fighting it for 5 days now. Updated to 11.2.1, no luck.

I FIXED THIS by going to the account I wanted to invite, inviting my main account into their 'home' (which had nothing in it). Accepted the invite to their home on my device, I was then able to add them to my home (and then remove their's).

Hope this helps someone out there.

Dec 13, 2017 1:52 PM in response to jeckart3d

Recent Release from Apple Fixes Invites problem so that you can only invite Strangers, and not anyone that was ever in your list or in Family sharing. so your Wife cannot control the lights or open the door, but your Neighbor that you have never invited Can.

I have returned all my uninstalled Home Kit Devices and going back to normal switches, returned the Lock on the Door, and went to a touch pad.

Depressing App had such Potential. Broke out the Arris Module using it for the Christmas Tree now.

Cannot share HomeKit controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.