Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google search bar not displaying results in Firefox

Hi. I'm running 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro. The latest version of Firefox (v41.0.2) is installed. It's been running perfectly for weeks now w/ Google as my default search engine. All of a sudden, typing information into the Google search bar stopped yielding search results. It will work for several tabs after first launching Firefox, sometimes as many as six or so, but then w/ a new tab, it will stop displaying search results after entering search criteria. Both the address bar and the Firefox search bar to the right of the address bar work but not the Google search bar. It does work in Safari but not Firefox.

I've been on the Mozilla support site and tried the suggestions I found there (like trashing search-metadata.json, search.json and search.sqlite) from the Profiles folder within the Firefox folder in Application Support, refreshed Firefox and cleared History, Cookies and Cache (which I regularly do anyway), uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, but the quirky problem persists. I haven't tried creating a new Firefox profile but before I think about doing that, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any ideas. Worse comes to worse, I'll just use the address bar and the Firefox search bar for my searches.

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 7:41 PM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes. Tried Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo. They all work w/o a hitch. Google will work for a few tabs and then stop. And it's only from the Google search bar that it stops working. I can choose Google as my search engine for the Firefox search bar to the right of the address bar and that works fine every time, quick and responsive. It's when I use the Google search bar lower down in the middle of the page that the problem starts. I begin typing and the bar moves to the upper left just below the address bar and normally, even as I'm typing, search results will start to display. But eventually, after opening a few new tabs, it stops working and nothing displays other than what I typed into the search bar.

Google search bar not displaying results in Firefox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.