Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 4th gen bluetooth audio

I can connect a beats pill 2.0 bluetooth speaker to my new apple tv 4th gen but the volume control on the appletv remote does not control the bluetooth audio volume. I have the volume control set to 'auto' in the apple tv settings menu. if I change the volume directly on the bluetooth speaker, a pop up indicator on the tv shows the volume level of the connected bluetooth speaker. how can I get the volume control on the apple tv remote to control the attached bluetooth speaker volume?

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 10:32 PM

14 replies

Oct 30, 2015 7:55 PM in response to ferd94

I did find in the 'Audio and Video' settings on the AppleTV that, if you have the Audio Output switched to either a Bluetooth or Airplay speaker, then a Volume setting appears which can then be changed from 0% to 100% (in 10% increments) by scrolling with the remote (but not using the Volume +/- toggle on the remote). I would think the Volume +/- toggle on the remote should do this (while watching a video etc) rather than having to scroll through the settings menus to change the volume on a bluetooth or airplay speaker. Perhaps this will be improved in a future tvos update....

Nov 4, 2015 8:38 PM in response to alessandro.rossini

I have seen some postings from others that the new AppleTV remote does indeed control the volume on Airplay an Bluetooth audio devices so it would seem that something is wrong with my AppleTV hardware or software. I tried doing a factory restore which downloaded a new firmware (interesting as it still shows TVOS 9.0 as the version) but it did not fix my volume control issue.

Nov 5, 2015 1:58 AM in response to ferd94

My Siri remote does not control the volume of Bluetooth connected headphones. When using the remote control on the BT headphones, the volume changes.

I don't know if this is a bug or if only the Bluetooth connected device is in control of the volume? Seems does not make sense... when the BT headphones are attached to my iPad or iPhone, I can either use the hardware buttons on the tablet/phone, or the volume buttons on the BT headphones.

I reported this as a problem:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

But I may also try contacting Apple support.

Dec 10, 2015 10:15 AM in response to alessandro.rossini

alessandro.rossini wrote:

The limitation is confirmed by the ZDNet review of the new Apple TV:

The thing is, it's impossible to control the volume of the Apple TV. Apple includes volume controls on the remote, but they're meant to provide IR signals to your amp or TV. They don't control volume for a Bluetooth headphone.

Not true based on my usage with original firmware and the latest 9.1. I am using two pairs of Bluetooth headphones on the AppleTV 4 and the Siri Remote controls the volume just fine:

- Jabra Move

- Plantronics Back Beat 2

I also tried a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones and the Volume did not work. Those same headphones also did not auto-connect to the AppleTV so I returned them and bought the much nicer Jabra unit.

Dec 10, 2015 11:11 AM in response to walk0080

Interesting. So you just installed the tvOS 9.1 update and your Siri remote started controlling the volume?

My Bluetooth/AirPlay speakers are:

JBL Authentics L8

My Bluetooth speakers/headsets are:

• Jawbone BIG JAMBOX
  • Jaybird BlueBuds X

My Siri remote does not control the volume of any of those. I also tried with a factory restore but it did not help.

Dec 10, 2015 12:42 PM in response to alessandro.rossini

alessandro.rossini wrote:

Interesting. So you just installed the tvOS 9.1 update and your Siri remote started controlling the volume?

My Bluetooth/AirPlay speakers are:

JBL Authentics L8

My Bluetooth speakers/headsets are:

• Jawbone BIG JAMBOX
  • Jaybird BlueBuds X

My Siri remote does not control the volume of any of those. I also tried with a factory restore but it did not help.

I was able to control the volume of my Bluetooth headphones prior to v9.1 as well via Siri Remote.

Seems perhaps heavily dependent on the Bluetooth hardware device you are using... Maybe the Bluetooth chipset?

My Jabra (BT v4) and Plantronics (BT v2) are fine. The cheapo Aukey units did not work w/ Siri Remote volume control - they also did not auto-connect when powered on. I don't have any AirPlay speakers available but I do have an AirPlay receiver app on my Windows PC that I can test out tonight.

The Jabra Move Bluetooth headphones are the primary paired wireless device for the ATV4. As soon as the Jabra Move are turned on, they auto-connect and everything just works. Power them off and audio is directed back to the Receiver/Amp automatically. Even my wife loves the simplicity of private TV listening.

I would suggest making an Apple Suggestion / Request via the Apple.com website. Send them the model numbers of the devices you are using. Maybe they will magically somehow add support in the future.

Jan 20, 2016 4:41 PM in response to ferd94

I'm having this issue as well.

Using the latest Bose Soundlink II headphones with bluetooth.

Restored to tvOS 9.1

The volume widget appears visually changes when using the Siri Remote volume buttons but it is not audibly altered.

The volume widget also visually changes when using the Bose built-in volume buttons, which then does produce an audible confirmation beep for the action and audibly changes the volume.

Using a Vizio M-series. Submitted feedback and contacted supported. Patience is key I guess.. till the next software update.

Interesting find - if you bring the volume all the way down to 0%, it does mute the headphones. Otherwise the volume is static at any other % when using the Siri Remote volume buttons and paired.

Feb 18, 2016 1:57 PM in response to ferd94

So I got an apple TV yersterday.....

Firstly the remote would not learn the IR signals from my TV... FAIL.

So I then decided to connect it to a external bluetooth speaker, Volume does not work. FAIL.

So I tried another external bluetooth speaker, same. FAIL.

So I manually walk over to the bluetooth device and turn the volume up, on MAX volume it's very quiet, about 1/2 speaking volume. works fine over HDMI to TV, FAIL #4

I mean WT, what device on the planet when connected to an external bluetooth audio device will not control the volume.
Steve would have never let this out the door, TOTAL FAIL.

apple tv 4th gen bluetooth audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.