Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX installing on virtual machine (legal issues)

Hi!

I want to install OSX on virtual machine. This installation will be on company servers. Company is ready to buy copy of OSX for each virtual machine.

Can someone say if this is legal?

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 2:13 AM

Your best bet would be to contact Apple Care to clarify this issue. Alternatively, write to Apple directly and clarify the issues.

Leo

8 replies

Oct 30, 2015 5:19 AM in response to yevgenys

The following is extracted from the El Capitan end user license agreement (EULA).

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non- commercial use.

The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies or instances of the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal sharing or other similar types of services.

The general consensus is that the above translated to English means.

1. You can only install a virtual copy of OS X on a real physical Mac - not a for example HP/Dell/other running ESXi or some other virtualisation system, this along with 2 below means the Apple license makes it impossible to create what is known as a VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) system to run OS X
  2. You can only have a maximum of two virtual OS X guests running on a single physical computer, and as per 1 above it has to be a real Mac!
  3. You cannot use this for general business or even education use, you can use it at home, you can use it during software development, you can use it for testing purposes, you can use it to run an older version of Apple's server software than is possible to do directly on your real Mac for example the new Mac Pro cannot run Snow Leopard Sever directly but you could run a copy in a virtualised environment to get round this and even do so in a business environment

It sounds like you are trying to create a VDI system and this is not possible or more precisely not legal.

Oct 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50 wrote:

Actually, OS X 10.7 and up can be virtualized on Apple hardware.

I don't think that really is the issue.

"I want to install OSX on virtual machine. This installation will be on company servers." (My emphasis.)

Even if they were by some chance using Apple Mac servers, the Apple EULA still in nearly all circumstances including what appears to be the original posters case prohibits this. The impression to me at least is the original poster wanted to create a VDI setup - something that is increasingly common in the Windows world but simply not possible in the Mac world, not due to technical reasons but due to Apple's licensing terms.

Now you might say but you can still run a virtual copy of OS X on a Mac server (actually you could run two) but the original poster goes on to say

"Company is ready to buy copy of OSX for each virtual machine."

and it is this which pretty much confirms the desire to create a VDI setup.

OSX installing on virtual machine (legal issues)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.