Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems on Mac with Mail - Keeps Quitting and Rebuilding Index

I have an iMac 21.5 inch with OSX Mountain Lion. Recently, my mail program started actin and now it keeps saying "Quit and Rebuild Index." I hoped that the El Capitan update would help, but now, when its says it is Updating the Library, it stops after awhile and says Quit and Rebuild Index again. I tried to do the Spotlight change listed in a similar problem submitted to the Community, but that didn't help. I started thinking about deleting my Mail accounts, but I didn't want to lose all of the old mail that I have.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 5:07 AM

7 replies

Oct 30, 2015 6:04 AM in response to BrianWKemper

BrianWKemper wrote:

Due to the updates going on (that don't finish) I can't get to the sidebar to rebuild the mailboxes. Can I do it in another way?

Nope.

One thing you can attempt is to try to restore your Mailboxes using Time Machine. If you have not been using Time Machine then the only thing I can think of is to do an erase and install of your system.

Mail (Yosemite): Restore mailboxes and their content

http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/07/how-to-manually-restore-your-mail-folder-fro m-time-machine/

Oct 30, 2015 8:07 AM in response to BrianWKemper

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

If you're running OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") or later, triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V3/MailData

If you're running an older version OS X, use this line:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

If the import operation stalls or fails with an error message, quit Mail, delete the two new index files (keeping the original ones that you moved to the Desktop), and try again. According to many reports, the second attempt may succeed after the first one has failed.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Apr 30, 2016 10:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you so much for these instructions! I have a brand new Mac Air and MacMail started doing the quit and rebuild error every time I worked in Mail on my laptop! Your instructions fixed it! I love the apple forums. If I'm having a problem, then I can bet someone else out there has had the same problem and can tell me how to fix it!

Problems on Mac with Mail - Keeps Quitting and Rebuilding Index

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.