Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan causes Thunderbolt Display's USB-port-problem

In Mavericks and Yosemite my Thunderbolt Display worked as expected. If my MBP Retina was turned on I could just plug in (hot-plug) the Thunderbolt display cable and all peripherals (usb hub, keyboard, mouse, external sound card, hard drives etc.) that are normally connected to the back of the display would instantly work.

Last week I upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.1). Now when I connect my (turned on) MBP to the Thunderbolt Display, the display/screen turns on but none of my USB-connected peripherals work. If I reboot the MBP while still connected to the Thunderbolt display everything works fine.

It frustrates me that I have to reboot every time I need to "dock" my MBP with the Display. Clearly this is a software issue with El Capitan. I am of course running the newest Thunderbolt Display firmware (v 1.2 from Nov. 2014) and I have been, since it was released. So the problem is a direct result of the OSX 10.11.1 update and not a hardware issue.

Does anyone know a way to possibly fix this without having to try to format and clean install everything?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Thunderbolt Display with USB2 ports

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 4:12 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2016 1:30 AM in response to hjortenfeldt

Hi Hjortenfeldt,

We discuss a very similar problem with Thunderbolt and USB in the following thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7263784

I got a LG 34UM95 monitor connected to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt, and a set of B&W MM-1 speakers connected through USB to my LG monitor. This setup was working fine before El Capitan. Now the speakers stop working after a short period. If i reboot my MacBook it will start working again for at short period of time.

El Capitan causes Thunderbolt Display's USB-port-problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.