Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Won't Open .MOV Files

Hello,

If I could get any help with this issue, it would be great! QuickTime is driving me insane with this problem!

The last couple of times that I filmed on my old Nikon camera, when I've dragged the files from the SD card to my desktop, they've been unplayable. I posted a discussion last week about a file that I was having difficulty with, and the conclusion was that the file was corrupt because the camera ran out of battery, so the video file was unable to write properly.

But this time, when I filmed a fairly long video, (25 minutes ish), my camera didn't run out of battery. I made sure it was fully charged. I saw that the file was able to write itself properly, and everything went as it should've, until I try to play it in QuickTime.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), .MOV file

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 5:19 AM

3 replies

Oct 30, 2015 7:23 AM in response to bbem99

Have you tried to play in another media player, ie. VLC?

It would be helpful if you could provide the codec info again from MediaInfo?

You indicated in the previous post about this that you had performed a test recording and that you were successful with a short clip captured and played back in QuickTime. Has anything changed with regard to camera settings, change of SD card, etc.?

Oct 30, 2015 4:53 PM in response to Raymond Riley

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I've tried to play it in VLC player, and once again, I had no luck. This is what pops up when I try to play it in VLC :

User uploaded file

It seems to be that I'm only having this issue with longer recordings.

I've been using exactly the same process as before, the same camera settings, SD card and everything else.

I just haven't got a clue why it won't play.

Nov 2, 2015 3:16 PM in response to bbem99

I have a similar problem. After upgrading from OSX6.8 to OSX El Capitan (10.11), I find that about 80% of my existing .mov files will no longer open in Quick Time. There does not seem to be a correlation between the ability to open in QT and file size or file creation date or file source (camera vs download). Quick time attempts to convert the file, but brings up the "can not open" dialog when the conversion progress bar is about 90% complete.

I have downloaded the Legacy Quick Time 7, and it is also unable to open these .mov files.

I have attempted to convert the files to .mp4 with MacX video converter. The program always closes unexpectedly almost immediately after starting the conversion. An .mp4 destination file is created, but of size 0 kb.

I've attempted to open the files with Cisdem Video app and the files also close the program unexpectedly.

Any suggestions appreciated!

QuickTime Won't Open .MOV Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.