Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 Weak WiFi Reception

My MacBook recently started showing signs of weak WiFi signal reception. This is happening in multiple places (home, work, public places, etc.) so I am certain it is not a router issue in one particular place. I can sit in the same place with two laptops or my phone or iPad and every device will pick up the signal but my MacBook will not. BUT the WiFi DOES work. I do not have a hardware error message or anything like that. If I am close to a router, I get a signal. In the same room as the router or near a stronger signal I'm fine; if I go to a different room my laptop has trouble but other devices are fine...

For example. I am in a hospital right now. Sitting in a patient room. My laptop will not find detect the WiFi. I am writing this on another almost identical MacBook with no problems. iPhones and iPads are connected with speeds capable of streaming video with no problem. If I turn on the mobile hotspot on my phone sitting right next to my laptop, it will detect the signal and connect.

Is this an antenna issue? Software? Airport card?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 10:21 AM

I have the exact same problem and it started a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the airport card for a new one and nothing happened, the problem is still there. That leaves us to check on possible software issues or antenna. I'll write back if any news. Good luck!

8 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:14 AM in response to jstrickland987

I have been having this exact problem for weeks, and it's been driving me mad.

However, I've just found a solution that has worked for me. Turns out the problem was the antenna connection which is in the hinge. Try sitting somewhere where your wifi no longer works. With the lid open at a 90 degree angle, slowly lower it. The original poster had to move his to 45 degrees to get it working. I only had to move mine 5 or so, so it really doesn't affect usage.

To further solve his problem, the guy bought a compatible wifi dongle, which although ugly, completely solved his problem.

Hope this helps.

Jun 26, 2016 5:36 PM in response to jstrickland987

If you sit within 10 feet of your Router, and then hold the Option key while you click on the WiFi icon on the menubar, you will get a display similar to this old one:

User uploaded file

You should have a RSSI or signal strength at close range IN EXCESS of about -50 (numbers closer to Zero than -50). If you do not, you have a broken or disconnected antenna. Please try it and report what you get back here.

If you point this defect out to the folks at the genius bar, then they have a repeatable failure, and anything they can reproduce, they can fix.

MacBook Pro 2011 Weak WiFi Reception

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.