Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages showing up on apple watch but not iphone

My wife is getting Messages on her Watch but when she goes to find them on her iPhone they are not there. She is missing messages because they go to her watch and if she checks later they are not on her phone.

She Has an iPhone 6plus, latest updates installed, Apple Watch with all updates installed.

Apple Watch, iOS 9.1, Messages

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 9:03 AM

Hi Dave - try this:

On your wife's iPhone, go to: Settings > Messages - turn off iMessage at the top of the screen, pause for a few moments, then re-enable it.

It may also then help to restart both her iPhone and watch. Turn both devices off together first, then restart the iPhone before the watch:

- To turn the watch off: press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider; drag it to turn off;

- To turn it on: press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2015 9:03 AM in response to davetaylor72

Hi Dave - try this:

On your wife's iPhone, go to: Settings > Messages - turn off iMessage at the top of the screen, pause for a few moments, then re-enable it.

It may also then help to restart both her iPhone and watch. Turn both devices off together first, then restart the iPhone before the watch:

- To turn the watch off: press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider; drag it to turn off;

- To turn it on: press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

Sep 20, 2017 10:33 AM in response to davetaylor72

I have one that just started doing this also but it does not appear to be my phone, ( i have a iphone6 and apple watch) when my son text me or my wife we do not recieve his messages on our phones, my watch does how ever get them. If i text him, (iphone 7), from my phone or my wifes phone he they sometimes go thru but as a standard message (green), but if i text from my watch they go thru as an imessage. My phone sees my watch messages to his phone, but nothing on his side on my phone

Oct 30, 2015 9:08 AM in response to davetaylor72

If you are referring to notifications rather than to the messages themselves being missing on the iPhone, note that how notifications behave depends on the status of your devices. In order to bring notifications to your attention as soon as possible:

- If your iPhone is unlocked, you will receive notifications on your iPhone instead of on your watch.

- If your iPhone is locked or asleep and your watch is unlocked and on your wrist, you will receive notifications on your watch.

- If your watch is locked or has Do Not Disturb enabled, notifications will go to your iPhone.

About notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

messages showing up on apple watch but not iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.