Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EL Cap broke my iMac :(

Installed update - EL Cap. Reboot now sticks on Apple logo and blank progress bar. Have tried turning on and off at least 20 times same thing. Have reinstalled EL Cap. 9x times. Have to the best of my non-techie ability tried ALL the cmd+suggestions, ALL the alt+suggestions, ALL the shift+suggestions...In fact I've probably read more about my iMac than the documents I'm supposed to be reading, that are stuck behind the Apple and blank progress bar. I called the support, they called me, but I had tried all their suggestions - but at least they were very nice to me😟

So PLEASE can someone help me? I am supposed to be finishing my dissertation so I am a bit panicked. And this thing is too heavy for me to carry to a Mac Genius.

Regards,

Belle

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 11:54 AM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Belle_de_Boskoop

Belle_de_Boskoop wrote:

.....Have reinstalled EL Cap. 9x times. .......

Belle

How were you doing this? Via Recovery HD?

If you were able to enter Recovery HD, did you try doing a repair disk?

I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but you should always have backups of mission critical data,

especially something like a dissertation. Preferably several. Never trust your life or lively hood

to any electronic device with the assumption that it is even infallible. Even RollsRoyces break down.

Oct 30, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Belle_de_Boskoop

Very simple answer ,, to complete your project go and purchase an external Drive,,,,Install a System on the external Drive and boot from it to continue the Project.......El Capitaine has a few quirks, mine keeps rebooting at random,,,,,at its own time, unpredictable,,, sometimes i have to power down manually but the system comes back,,,,,Plus my MIRRORING function does not work with El Captain,,,,,,Maverick was my preferred system....sorry i could not help any further but i am looking for the solution of my own problem,,,,,,,,The Apple advisory team has told me that the only way to fix my problem is to BACK UP into time machine , reformat and re-install

Enjoy

EL Cap broke my iMac :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.