Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating App I Never Installed?!

Hey

I'm totally green user of the new Mac Book Pro, just becoming familiar with the system first 2 days.

I was installing some programs like VLC - for media playing - that is why I needed MacBook

I have first strange problem - I installed a program for queing media (video pictures sound )on conferences - this is called Q-Lab - http://figure53.com/qlab/ and I suppose that with this program i got some kind of trash. At some moment today the app store flashed me that it requires angry birds update. Game which I never installed.

It asks me for update with Apple ID saying: toyo@aerowave.ru insted of my ID. What to do to this s*&^?I never installed it?! I do not even play this game and I have to update it??! *** ?! I will be grateful for your help. thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 11:24 AM

3 replies

Oct 30, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Detritusdread

This is a scam popup. Don’t call the phone number if given.

1. Force Quit Safari.

Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

This will launch Safari in Safe Mode.

The scam page that crashed Safari will not return.

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

If this doesn’t help:

Section:Getting rid of the message

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

Oct 30, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Detritusdread

It's not a scam and it has nothing to do with Safari.

You installed at least one hacked app, originally from the Mac App Store. It contains the receipt for a different app, downloaded using an account that you don't control. You need to identify and remove the hacked app.

Important: The app you need to remove may not be the one named in the update notice. For example, the App Store could prompt you to update "Angry Birds" or "Twitter," but the hacked app could be "Final Cut Pro." Don't make any assumptions about which app you're looking for. To find it, you must carry out a systematic search with Spotlight.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

2. In the Finder, press command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu of search criteria, initially showing Kind. From that menu, select

Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select

Raw Query

as the criterion, then click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of the menu of search criteria. That's where you enter the raw search query. Click in that box and paste the text you copied earlier by pressing command-V.

3. The search window will now show all the App Store products that are installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any apps were downloaded from the App Store using other Apple ID's that you control, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

4. At least one of the apps in the Spotlight search results is not among your purchases in the App Store. Delete each such item.

5. Quit and relaunch the App Store. Test.

If you find these instructions confusing, ask for an alternative method.

Nov 22, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, Thank you for the step by step instructions. Having a brand new machine and only having downloaded what appeared to be legit apps from the Mac App Store, I was very surprised to get the update notice for angry birds and to use that email address as noted above. I copied your instructions step for step and was able to find the offending apps and promptly deleted them. Thank you again!

Updating App I Never Installed?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.