Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote control hack

I foolishly gave permission for Jennifer (who identified herself as an apple employee) to control my mac remotely so she could help me get it going after it was blocked. Only found out after the fact that she wanted $$ to clean it up and unblock...it was actually a hack job from machelpsystemsupport.com

How do I relieve my anxiety that she now has control of everything, including passwords, etc. on my computer? I ran anti-malware, changed important passwords but am wondering if she still has control even after I disconnected from her??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Linda

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 11:13 AM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2015 12:17 PM in response to spangster

You also need to notify your bank that you're information may have been compromised and change ALL of your passwords.

You need to disconnect that machine from the Internet right now.

Since you don't already have a backup that pre-dates being compromised, You need to get yourself an external hard drive. Time Machine is the easiest (though not the fastest) way to back up the machine. You will then have to erase the hard drive and re-install OS X from scratch, then restore the data only (do NOT restore any applications) from the backup.

If you are unsure, I suggest you make an appointment at the genius bar of your local Apple Store. They can help.

remote control hack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.