Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 - photo stream issueo

HI,

i have the latest and great Apple TV 4. Everything is working just perfect, with exception of photo stream. icloud connected, I can see my albums and some thumb nails of photos but but in my albums a lot of the images do not appear. I leave it for a while and slowly some start to appear but it's painfully slow despite high speed internet.

GIven the much larger hard drive and improvements to the system itself it seems inadequate and so slow to use, waiting for images to load, making it hopeless as a way to view photos. In fact it's the biggest disappointment of Apple TV overall.

I would be expect the very least it could download a cache the thumbnails of the images but it doesn't. It would be better if it actually downloaded all the photos in the background and like apple Watch you could allocate how much space you wanted photos to use up.

however, in its current state I just can't use photos which is bitterly disappointing.

Has anyone else noticed this poor experience?

Apple TV (4th generation), Other OS

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 2:40 PM

18 replies

Nov 5, 2015 3:50 PM in response to madesco

SAME PHOTOSTREAM PROBLEM WITH ME.......

Here is the problem:

I have "Upload to my photos photostream" turned on on my IPhone 6S.......I also have photostream turned on on the new Apple TV 4th generation. If I take a new photo on my phone, the picture then uploads to my photostream on the apple tv real time.....if i then delete the photo on my phone, the photo is also then deleted from the apple tv photostream in real time.....HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGINS......lets say I take 5 photos and after I take those photos TURN OFF "upload to my photostream" on my phone, then decide to delete those 5 photos from my phone......the photos are now deleted from my phone, but ARE NOW PERMANENTLY LOCKED IN MY PHOTOSTREAM ON THE APPLE TV.....even after the photos are deleted from my phone (I even went to icloud.com and logged in my account to make sure the photos are deleted from my photstream, which they were). So now I am stuck with unwanted photos on my photostream that are deleted everywhere except Apple TV.......

THE PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF APPLE TV ALLOWED YOU TO HOLD DOWN THE SELECT BUTTON ON A PHOTO UNTIL IS SHOCK, AND THEN ALLOWED YOU TO DELETE IT..........UNFORTUNATELY, THE APPLE TV 4 DOES NOT HAVE THIS SAME FEATURE AND IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING BC IT IS A SIMPLE TASK.....WHO WANTS DELETED PHOTOS SHOWING UP ON YOUR PHOTOSTREAM?

Nov 10, 2015 8:30 AM in response to TiT0mark

Deleting photos from "recently deleted" does work.....HOWEVER, THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM I AM EXPERIENCING......If by some chance, you log out of your apple ID on the apple tv (for whatever reason), and you log back on (whether its 1 minute after logging off, or one day)....all of the photos become locked in your photostream.....so by logging off you are VOIDING the option to delete photos from "recently deleted"....

The old apple tv had an option to just hold down the select button on any photo in the photostream, it began shaking, and a delete photo option appeared.

THis is no longer an option on the 4th gen apple tv.

Nov 10, 2015 10:53 PM in response to John Neilson

I finally sorted out my issue. Despite having all my photos stored in iCloud it seems that the new Apple TV will only display albums and photos shared on iCloud. So I created new iCloud shared albums and pointed them to the contents of the albums I had not previously shared (but stored in iCloud).

Now they all appear correctly

Would have been nicer if the Photos worked the same way across the platforms of OS X, iOS and tvOS

Nov 12, 2015 12:13 AM in response to John Neilson

I agree this is a very bizarre implementation of Photos, I would have expected it to work the same as iOS & OS X devices and display your entire iCloud Photo Library and all albums. Rather than just shared albums and My Photo Stream, which is pointless if you are using iCloud Photo Library as it shows the last 1000 photos, even if you have deleted them on other devices with iCloud Photo Library.

This was one of the reasons I bought the new Apple TV so I could get my complete photo library.

Nov 30, 2015 1:42 PM in response to macuser916

Same here. Old photos already deleted from iCloud Photo Stream are being displayed on the Apple TV 4 and no way to delete those photos. No big issue for me although it's beyond me how they could have missed this bug in final testing (tvOS was thre years in the works, really?). But it's annoying for sure. Could even be really awkward if you stumble on some deleted, really unwanted, photos and want to display those nice Christmas pictures during the holidays to your family.

Dec 28, 2015 8:11 AM in response to macuser916

I got off the phone with Apple Support a minute ago.

AppleTV will not show all photos in your iCloud photo stream. It will only show photos shot from other iOS devices. If you are trying to use AppleTV to show your photos, the only solution is to turn on home sharing and navigating to photos from Computes - Library - Photos.

Also, with iCloud sharing, AppleTV only remembers the last 1,000 photos and deletes them after 30 days.

Reason #995 why Apple doesn't get anything related to cloud.

Apple TV 4 - photo stream issueo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.