Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with the Apple TV 4th Gen?

When I put my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard in Pairing Mode the Keyboard is not detected with the Apple TV 4th Generation?

Are they Compatible? (The Apple Bluetooth Keyboard used to work with the Apple TV 3rd Gen)

I am pulling my hair out with ALL of these PASSWORDS!!!!!

I will not be replacing any of my other Older Apple TV's until this is rectified.

Thanks jc

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 5:27 PM

No keyboards yet.

They just updated this page today as far as I know.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202670

Wireless keyboards aren't compatible with Apple TV (4th generation).

53 replies

Oct 30, 2015 5:37 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Thanks for the post Joe...

This is a Big Mistake by Apple; I have three other Units in my home that I was going to replace. With the Newest Apple TV being App Driven (Passwords); the Keyboard is needed more than before. I'm sure people will not be Buying Apps if it is a Pain to type your password Every Time. I need the Password Option with younger kids in the house!

I will be waiting for the Keyboard Support before my next Apple TV Purchase.

Thanks, jc

Oct 30, 2015 6:17 PM in response to jimiapple67

I tried my new Magic Keyboard 2 and then the previous model. After some further research I found it clearly written in the documentation that this Apple TV "would not support some devices including Blue Tooth keyboards". If the latest Apple keyboard won't work - none will.

I could compromise over this situation if at least the Remote App allowed you to connect to the Apple TV and use the software keyboard to control the device.

As it stands right now, this device is UNUSABLE!!!! This situation is beyond STUPID. If I have to "stroke in" my password on that remote one more time, I might just through it across the room.

GET THIS FIXED OR GET THE REFUND READY FOR 2 UNITS!!!!

Oct 30, 2015 6:27 PM in response to KPFRTX

KPFRTX wrote:

As it stands right now, this device is UNUSABLE!!!! This situation is beyond STUPID. If I have to "stroke in" my password on that remote one more time, I might just through it across the room.

GET THIS FIXED OR GET THE REFUND READY FOR 2 UNITS!!!!

I entered the few passwords required to access iTunes, Netflix and Hulu in a couple of minutes. Although it wasn't the most fun I've had all day, it certainly wasn't so rage inducing that I felt the need to destroy things. I also don't expect to have to do it again for quite a while.

Apple is not reading here. No one here cares if you decide the devices don't meet your needs.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Oct 30, 2015 8:06 PM in response to jimiapple67

NO keyboard support. My understanding, at least in iOS, is that app developers can allow iCloud Keychain to save user names and passwords, but I have never seen this supported in my iOS app. I believe Some do support 1password tho. Apple should strongly encourage all app makers to support this function for iCloud Keychain. Then, when you setup any iOS device or tvOS, the usernames and passwords will be saved.

Nov 1, 2015 6:58 AM in response to jimiapple67

It is not necessary to type your password every time: in Settings > Accounts you have the option of "every time" "after 15 minutes" or "never"; and unless your Apple TV is sitting in a public space and you're concerned that strangers will go wild buying apps and subscriptions it's a no-brainer. After setting to "never" I was able to quickly add all the apps (free and paid) that I needed without ever entering a password. If paranoid, set to never, then download all you want, return to Settings and disable with "after 15" or "always" It's that easy.

Nov 1, 2015 7:00 AM in response to KPFRTX

It is not necessary to type your password every time: in Settings > Accounts you have the option of "every time" "after 15 minutes" or "never"; and unless your Apple TV is sitting in a public space and you're concerned that strangers will go wild buying apps and subscriptions it's a no-brainer. After setting to "never" I was able to quickly add all the apps (free and paid) that I needed without ever entering a password. If paranoid, set to never, then download all you want, return to Settings and disable with "after 15" or "always" It's that easy.

Nov 1, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Douglas Edwards1

No... it's NOT that Easy.... I am not referring to my AppleID - I guess you don't have HBO Now, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu... I have multiple User Names and LONG Passwords (not like : abcd1234). I had spent well over an hour setting up 1 Apple TV 4th Generation and I have 3 other Apple TVs in my home to be upgraded.

Once again I will state: "I will NOT Buy another Apple TV 4th Generation until Keyboard Support is implemented".

I have been an Apple TV from the beginning, I will wait for Keyboard Support.

If I can save One Person an Hour of cursing at the TV by making them aware of the Lack of Keyboard Support (before they go and invest $150 to $200), I've done my good deed for the day.

Thanks, jc

Nov 2, 2015 7:37 AM in response to jimiapple67

Apple TV 4 is a big disappointment. No keyboard to type searches, No Siri (yet for sweden) and no siri for apple music search yet, no optical out, c'mon Apple, ATV3 is far better in terms of usability, just miss Apple Music but with ATV4 it's actually a pain searching anyway, better off using your iPad/iPhone and AirPlay it.

Worst Apple product yet if this little fat box can't learn how to dance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.