Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dropped frames on imovie

After about a minute of importing from FaceTime camera it says dropped frames caused the video to abort. Now, that isnt verbatim but basically the same error people have gotten before. On a new TEST account it works fine with no dropped frames at all. Which leads me to think its my personal account. I tried deleting all preferences in Library folder and restarted and tried again, but still same error. This is a BRAND new macbook which I migrated FROM another macbook. So maybe something got crossed over in something with my settings where it wont work. BUT again, it does work with a new login. Assist please

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 9:15 PM

8 replies

Oct 31, 2015 2:31 AM in response to Baby Jai

Dropped frames are usually caused by processors being unable to keep up with the data rate or sufficient memory cache space. Using a test account, you may well have less processes running than under your normal account. Try quitting any other apps that are running. What are the specs of your Macbook (model, processor type, RAM) ?

Geoff.

Oct 31, 2015 11:51 AM in response to GeeD

nope not the OS, it happened when I got it out of the box. I was on the phone with an apple representative and they think the migration assistant is the culprit. My activity monitor is pretty bland lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8aas1wgbe22nuo/Screenshot%202015-10-31%2014.50.32.jpg ?dl=0

Also keep in mind on a NEW USER on the same system no issues at all

Nov 1, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Baby Jai

Baby Jai wrote:... Assist please

You have already done some very good troubleshooting. Your testing seems to show that your normal user account has somehow been damaged.

Because there are many thousands of files in any OS X system, I have never successfully "repaired" a user account. It is faster, easier, and more reliable for me to merely change to a new account that works properly. Here is how I do it.

(1) If you do not already have one, make a current backup of your important files. If you need help, see these options for OS X 10.7:

• Time Machine - Learn how to set up Time Machine to perform backups to external hard drives, Time Capsule and more.
  • Time Capsule - Learn more about backing up your data with Time Capsule.
  • External hard drive - Use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to back up your computer's hard drive to an external hard drive.
  • iCloud - Use iCloud to backup your music, photos, calendars, etc.

(2) Decide whether you want to use one of the existing test user accounts that you already know works. Renaming account names can cause serious problems, so, if you want a different name for your new everyday user account, it is important to create the account with the name you like. Test the new account, too, to be sure it is working properly before proceeding.

(3) Copy needed data from your backup into your new user account that works. Begin using this new account as your every-day "main" login account. Do not move or delete anything from the old (damaged) account at this time.

(4) If you must add any third-party items to your new account, add only one at a time. Test thoroughly before adding another third-party item. This technique will help you quickly identify any particular item that might have been the cause of a conflict in your old account.

(5) Use your new account long enough so you can be certain that everything you do with your Mac is working properly in the new account. Depending on how you use your Mac, this can take weeks or even months.

(6) When you are certain that all is well with the new account that is now your normal account, you can throw away your damaged (old) original user account folder to reclaim its disk space.

(7) If you want to try consider some other possibilities on your own, this article might help you find the root cause of your trouble so you can determine what must be fixed.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.1

Nov 12, 2015 6:57 PM in response to EZ Jim

nope not the OS, it happened when I got it out of the box. I was on the phone with an apple representative and they think the migration assistant is the culprit. My activity monitor is pretty bland lol.

Today I made a video with JUST quicktime RECORDING not imovie after I got it back after repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5cInpAtvOQ here take a look at the video and watch all the skipped frames. Why, just why? I am at the point where I just want a **** refund

Nov 20, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Baby Jai

Baby Jai wrote: ... a NEW USER on the same system no issues at all....

Then the pragmatic approach still seems to me to be to change users.

Otherwise, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Baby Jai wrote: ... I just want a ... refund....

All you have to do is ask .......

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.1

dropped frames on imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.