Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fim editing

Hello, please bare with me if this seems somewhat confusing to you but i am quite new to all of this, so let me explain my dilema,

My daughter through the Princes Trust has set up her own business filming weddings, when she is not filming she works partime in a fashion shop, and at the moment she appears to be doing well for bookings, the problem that i have is am not very technical at all, and for Christmas this year my late wife and i were going to buy my daughter a pre owned apple mac to help her with her editing, My recently deceased wife did all the research as to which one was the best to purchase, unfortunately she did not tell me on which one she decided to get, and so i am at a loss so i would like with the apple communities help research which one would be the best to get, i do not have a great deal of spare cash but if the right one comes along i am more than prepared to borrow the money to pay for the right piece of equipment as like all parents we want our children to succeed in life, and some of the work she has done is terrific.

So ladies and gentlemen of the community please can you help me research this so that i can get her the best one.many thanks for all your help in advance

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 8:07 AM

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

As for which Mac to purchase, first determine which type of computer your daughter is comfortable working with. She may prefer a laptop over a desktop or vice versa. But no matter what her preference, she'll most likely need more than just the computer. She'll also need a lot of storage space (external hard drives) to store the massive media and render files that are required for video editing and the drives will need to have the proper connectivity to keep up with the demands of multiple video streams. Furthermore, it would be very difficult to recommend anything specifically until we know your budget.

-DH

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Ilovechristine

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

As for which Mac to purchase, first determine which type of computer your daughter is comfortable working with. She may prefer a laptop over a desktop or vice versa. But no matter what her preference, she'll most likely need more than just the computer. She'll also need a lot of storage space (external hard drives) to store the massive media and render files that are required for video editing and the drives will need to have the proper connectivity to keep up with the demands of multiple video streams. Furthermore, it would be very difficult to recommend anything specifically until we know your budget.

-DH

Oct 31, 2015 8:25 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

Dear Mr Harbsmeier

Many thanks for your reply, one or two things i do know the answer to, however the rest you will have to bare with me until i find out myself, she would prefer a laptop over desktop that i do know and i have given her some money to purchase an external hard drive £200, to use with her old laptop and i don't quite know what that will buy though or whether it will be enough storage, as for the budget, well i don't know what would be a reasonable amount to pay, hence the reason i am on this forum, as i have said i more than happy to take out a loan to purchase the one that is considered to be the best, but with that said i don't want to be paying out more money in 6 months time to upgrade it, please don't think i am being deliberately vaque in my answer because i genuinely don't know.what would be considered a decent enough budget.

Many thanks

Trevor

Oct 31, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Ilovechristine

If going with a laptop, you'll need a MacBook Pro at the least. The primary limitations of a laptop (when it comes to video editing) are connectivity. You'll need a model that has the right connections (and enough of them) for external drives and potentially an I/O solution. I'll assume she's planning to edit with Final Cut Pro X since the legacy versions of FCP were discontinued in 2011. If that's so, you may want to post any additional questions in the FCP X forum located here: Final Cut Pro X

The functionality and requirements of FCP X differ from the legacy versions covered on this forum so you'll most likely receive more accurate answers there.

Best of luck, and again, sorry for your loss.

-DH

Oct 31, 2015 10:56 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

Dear Mr Harbsmeier,

Once again thankyou for prompt reply, yes she has mentioned final cut pro, and until you pointed it out i had completely forgotten about it, and with the information you have furnished me regading the specification of the laptop i now know what to lookout and ask for, without making myself look stupid so a very big thankyou, also in closing a very personal thankyou for you kind words on loss of my beloved Christine.

Kind regards

Trevor

Fim editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.