Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El capitan 10.11 keyboard crazy after sleep

Hi,

I have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB., Italian keyboard, trackpad and mouse.

Mac OS X is El Capitan v 10.11.

Quite ofter after my iMac went in sleep mode automatically, my keyboard doesn't work properly.

In the password field a very long sequence of '*' appears automatically continuously also after pressing the confirm button.

Even with the Cancel button on the bottom of the page I am not able to type my own password only and log in again.

The only workaround that works is to switch off the keyboard and switch on again: after the two messages "Lost connection" and "Connected" everything works properly again.

Best regards

Peps

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), keyboard crazy after sleep

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 9:05 AM

20 replies

Nov 5, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Peps68

Hi Peps,

I have the same thing going on, exactly as you described. I have a Mid-2015, 27" Retina 5k iMac, US Wireless Keyboard (2011), Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse on 10.11.1. So far, I have worked with Apple support and had the keyboard replaced. This did not fix the issue. I need to call them back when I have some more time.

I wanted to ask you a few questions to see if our issues are exactly the same. If they are, I'll be happy to share any solutions I come across.

If your sound is up, can you hear a noise as if you have held down a button for a few seconds?

The caps lock key does not respond (light indicator) while this is happening. Can you confirm the same?

Does your battery life say 100% on the keyboard all the time?

Previously this has only ever happened coming out of sleep and on the lock screen. Then, yesterday for the first time, I saw the same behavior while pasting an address to the address bar in Safari. It just pasted over and over again. I could tap delete and it may back up, but then it would go back to pasting. It acted the same as it does sometimes at the lock screen. I had to to turn off the keyboard and turn it back on, then as usual, everything was fine again.

All the best,

John

Nov 5, 2015 1:57 PM in response to johnfromnc

Hi John,

the pressed key was my hypothesis, too. I tried to shake the keyboard and to move upside down, with no success.

I changed the batteries last month.

I have experienced this error in the lock screen page only till now.

I'm going to check the sound and the caps lock key as soon as possible and I'll let you know.

All my best,

Peps

Nov 8, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Peps68

Hi John,

I have verified that there is no sound as a key is pressed continuously.

I have press the cap lock key a lot of times: no light on.

After having pressed "Cancel" icon, the cap lock key started switching on and off. The indicator in the password field appeared and disappeared not syncronized with the key down some minutes before.

Same thing happened with the speaker volume keys.

It seems the process the read the input has a very low priority and the system is doing other.

All my best,

Peps

Nov 9, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Peps68

Hi Peps,

I will have to check with the other keys that you mentioned. The sound that I was referring to happens during the "automatic typing" problem. Normally, if you type in the wrong password and then press enter, you get that sound (complete with screen shake). When the password field automatically fills itself in after waking, it makes this same sound, but as if someone pressed enter several times.

The problem hasn't happened again in over 3 days. This is about as long as it has gone without having the issue. I noticed that you and I both have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and trackpad. I don't know if you have all of them on or not. I decided to turn off the trackpad and only have the keyboard and mouse on, then I switched to just the keyboard and trackpad. After that, I decided to leave them all on again. I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but since I turned off the trackpad and turned it back on, the keyboard hasn't gone crazy again.

All the best,

John

Nov 18, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Peps68

Hi Peps,

I went from my Nov 9th post until just now with no issues, and I think I've finally narrowed it down.

Details, details... my keyboard and iMac are one shelf above whatever pointing device I am using. That means if both my trackpad and mouse are on, the one I'm NOT using sits next to my keyboard and almost under my iMac. The pointing device that I AM using is just below on a sliding drawer.

Results:

With my apple bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse only, no problems.

With my apple bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad only, no problems.

With my apple bluetooth keyboard and both pointing devices on, using the magic trackpad (on lower surface), no problems.

With my apple bluetooth keyboard and both pointing devices on, using the magic mouse (on lower surface), FAIL - trackpad is next to keyboard

Do you have the trackpad on and close to the keyboard and iMac?

Can you use just the mouse and tell me if you have any issues?

If not, can you get the trackpad further from the keyboard and iMac to see if you still have an issue?

I may have not noticed something, but I'll pay close attention to see if there is only 1 configuration that gives me trouble.

All the best,

John

Nov 22, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Peps68

Hi John,

your analysis was correct: the problem is the magic trackpad.

Today I had for 4 times my keyboard crazy either in the sleep mode or while I was using WhatsApp in Chorme and after switching off the magic trackpad the keyboard restarted working properly.

Now I hope that Apple will fix this bug.

All my best,

Peps

El capitan 10.11 keyboard crazy after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.