Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My powerbook g4 won't boot past the blue screen

I have been trying to get my powerbook g4 to work but I can't seem to get it to boot past the blue screen.

PowerBook

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 9:23 AM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Kaymarie_x3

Howdy Kaymarie - too little info

Tell us a Story

- with a beginning, a middle and end. We need to understand everything that you know and have experienced.

If this issue is new, tell us what immediately preceded its onset - add software, upgrade or update? New equipment?

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "OS X 10.4 Tiger" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

For a detailed "coaching", please see the User Tip > "Help us to help you on these forums"<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5431>

"Keep It Short and Simple" - Take your time... but be thorough - ÇÇÇ

Oct 31, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Kaymarie_x3

While your vintage hardware won't be able to see much new software or upgrade,

your original or install-restore DVD media is a possible key to help troubleshoot

an issue where you see a blue screen on startup.

A blue screen may be a sign of hard disk drive failure.

Mac doesn't boot - Mac Guides

The link below suggests a few, such as (try to) start up in Safe mode; or use the

install DVD for the most recent vintage system in the computer, and boot from it

to see if the Disk Utility can be employed to check & repair the hard drive, etc.

Various support articles for the older OS X versions are no longer available online

at the Apple support site; some newer ones do cover similar topics; among them

a few cover similar circumstances and offer plausible advice to try & resolve issues.

This one says Yosemite -- but similar process is used in older OS X versions:

OS X Yosemite: If you see a blue screen at startup

{The use of a search engine may yield similar methods, from a variety of sources

some also include info on how to deal with a gray screen on startup, flashing ? mark

and other maladies that can afflict a computer.}

If you have a bootable clone on suitable FW enclosed HDD, that can be

helpful to further troubleshoot & restore a mac with this kind of issue.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

My powerbook g4 won't boot past the blue screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.