Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update to El Capitan Camera Built-in iSight black

Hi guys

I have Macbook pro 15-inch Mid 2010 update it to OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

Now Camera Built-in iSight in photo booth or skype or whatever Not working ( Green light working but just black color no photo )

But in Image Capture (No Camera Or Scanner Connected)

I try many Solution like reset the SMC

also try (sudo killall VDCAssistant)

But still not working

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 10:52 AM

8 replies

Nov 2, 2015 9:13 AM in response to TamTamo

TamTamo wrote:...Built-in iSight in photo booth or skype or whatever Not working...

One of these will fix your problem:

(1) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(2) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - The Troubleshooting article calls the camera an "iSight". However, after the article was published, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app (Photo Booth, FaceTime, iMovie, QuickTime Player, etc.) in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, how to do it is explained in http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201754.

A "Standard" user account is all you need for testing.

(3) If your cam won't work properly even with Apple apps, use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS from the Recovery System stored on your startup drive. Don't bother testing Skype or other third-party apps until you have your camera working with Apple apps.

(4) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

TamTamo wrote:... Image Capture (No Camera Or Scanner Connected)....

Don't try to make your Mac's camera work with Image Capture.

Image Capture works with compatible devices you connect to your Mac, not with your Mac's inbuilt camera.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.1

Nov 29, 2015 12:15 PM in response to TamTamo

You're welcome, TamTamo.

TamTamo wrote: Thanks for help Even i try all above and reformat my mac still not working .

i don't know why that happen with this update of OS X it was working too good !...

Because your Mac was working properly before the update, you can use the OS X Recovery system on your Mac's startup drive to restore your Mac from the latest Time Machine backup that worked properly.

Otherwise, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Mac OSX 10.11.1

Jan 11, 2016 1:20 AM in response to TamTamo

Hello

After many try . and install new copy of OS X El Capitan , same problem Camera Built-in iSightnot working never

even now the green light not working and now in hardware usb tree there is no Built-in iSight anymore

also i can't find the file or process 'VDCAssistant' .

can someone give me copy of driver or any any files link to isight then i install it in my mac ?

all that problem happen after update to Yosemite . i feel like some thing happen to framework of the cam or builtin usb hub

thanks guys

Jan 11, 2016 8:56 AM in response to TamTamo

TamTamo wrote:... i can't find the file or process 'VDCAssistant' . can someone give me copy ...

You do not need to copy individual files.

Using the OS X Recovery system on your Mac's startup drive to reinstall Mac OS X will add all needed software components required for your built-in webcam's operation.

After you have reinstalled Mac OS X, check Finder > Go > Utilities > System Information to verify that your Mac now recognizes its inbuilt camera.

TamTamo wrote: ...hardware usb tree there is no Built-in iSight anymore...

If your USB tree still doesn't recognize your inbuilt webcam, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Mac OSX 10.11.2

Jan 12, 2016 2:58 PM in response to TamTamo

TamTamo wrote: ... i open mac and check connector...USB tree is

also after i did all steps like above now showing

It makes no sense that your Mac "recognize inbuilt webcam .but no camera ." Inbuilt webcam IS the camera.

Apparently yours is a problem that is not user-solvable. I suggest that you contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Mac OSX 10.11.2

After update to El Capitan Camera Built-in iSight black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.