Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes incorrectly replace my album artwork without my permission?

I keep trying to change artwork, only to find that iTunes has replaced my input artwork with (1) the previous artwork, or (2) artwork for an entirely unrelated album in my collection, or (3) some different artwork from iTunes Store (e.g. a compilation album featuring the track). I have done everything I can to stop iTunes replacing artwork, but it keeps happening. A typical situation is that I paste in the artwork then it gets replaced a few hours later by artwork from a random album in my collection.

One particular example: I downloaded a label sampler compilation, but I wanted to list the tracks according to the albums they were sourced from, so I could have the year, album name and artwork to give more context to the track. That took some effort on my part and iTunes seems to react badly to this, often reverting or randomly changing the artwork I added, as described above.

One possible issue: I have just over 25,000 tracks, which is above iTunes Match's capability (and that's annoying in itself), so I'm wondering if there's a synchronisation problem, but even so replacing artwork seems a rather random event.

Any help much appreciated before I give up on iTunes and find something that I can control.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iTunes Match subscription

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 2:55 PM

8 replies

Oct 12, 2017 11:10 AM in response to roberthuttinger

OK. As you know, you're 3 major macOS versions behind. You're on 10.10 (Yosemite), which was released in 2014.

When I was running Yosemite, I, too, was having these problems with iTunes. I also experienced them in macOS 10.11 (El Capitan, 2015). But I have NOT experienced these iTunes issues in macOS 10.12 (Sierra, 2016) or 10.13 (High Sierra, 2017).

I can't say for sure that upgrading your macOS would fix this issue, but I can say that for me, the problems went away in Sierra and High Sierra.

Oct 31, 2015 3:01 PM in response to gastronaut

gastronaut wrote:

Any help much appreciated before I give up on iTunes and find something that I can control.

My guess is that you have explicitly granted permission for iTunes to download album artwork for you.

In iTunes, use the menu to go to iTunes > Preferences > Store. Is the box "Automatically download album artwork" checked?

Apr 26, 2016 11:12 AM in response to gastronaut

I subscribe to Match (4 years) and Apple Music (out of the gate)—this is VERY annoying and it is getting WORSE! At first it was just my iOS devices—seemingly random artwork for albums and songs, it has now spread to my Macs. In some case I have artists for whom I OWN 10 albums—and the artwork is the same for all 10 albums (OS).

It would be one thing to do this to my Apple Music library; it is unacceptable to do it to my personal library especially my “master Mac”. I have physically loaded decades worth of CDs, for some older stuff I had to locate and physically add artwork. I am a visual person and you are removing my “cues”. PLEASE, please, PLEASE, fix this issue!

May 10, 2016 1:58 AM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

gastronaut wrote:

My guess is that you have explicitly granted permission for iTunes to download album artwork for you.

In iTunes, use the menu to go to iTunes > Preferences > Store. Is the box "Automatically download album artwork" checked?

No. "Automatically download album artwork" is for songs that don't already have artwork assigned. Also, the user's artwork should supersede any other available artwork. So, no, unchecking that option is not only unnecessary, it's irrelevant to this particular issue. There's a server problem that Apple really, really needs to fix. This has been happening for far, far too long.

Why does iTunes incorrectly replace my album artwork without my permission?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.