Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which part should I buy?

Hello everyone out there! I'm new here so bear with me...as a side hobby I fix broken iPhones (broken screens , logic boards, buttons, etc). However recently I accepted the challenge of trying to bring life back to an iPod 4th generation with liquid and fall damage. The situation as it was explained to me involved this particular device getting halfway vertically submerged with the lock button in the water, the user in a panicked state, pulled it out quickly from the water but in doing that it was dropped and the screen popped off. After reparing the mounting for the screen and replacing the lock button I plugged it into my computer and it seemed to work just fine. Every file was intact and it did not appear to be behaving badly at all.But it will refuse to show anything on the screen, when plugging it in and pressing the home button the screen turns on but is blank.... So this all leads to my question of what part I need to buy to fix the thing, originally I was thinking ab entire new logic assembly but after seeing that no file was corrupt I also assumed that there might have been somthing wrong in the screen. So do I get a new screen or new logic board? Thanks so much for the help!

Other OS

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 10:47 PM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Flymooney

If you are still looking for a suggestion... You should go on eBay and find a broken ("for parts") iPod of the same type. For a non-functional 4th gen iPod, it should be cheap. Most broken iPods with a hard drive inside are broken because of a faulty hard drive, and it sounds like your iPod's hard drive is working. So it is likely that the other broken iPod will have the part(s) you need. Read the description carefully; don't buy one with a cracked screen! 😉 You can swap parts to create one working iPod, and have some other "spare parts." In fact, you may end up putting your good hard drive into that other iPod.

My experience is that you should buy from a seller who looks like an "individual," not a business. There are businesses that scavenge and resell parts from broken iPods, so you may end up with a REALLY broken iPod assembled from bad parts.

NOTE: There are actually two types of 4th gen iPods, with monochrome screen and with color screen. They are different inside, so be sure to get the same type. Within each type (monochrome or color screen), there are two "thicknesses," based on hard drive capacity (one or two-platter). The difference in iPod thickness is only from the hard drive and the back of the casing (the metal half). The rest of iPod (attached firmly to the plastic half of casing) is the same. Again, the same between the two thicknesses, but NOT the same between monochrome and color screen.

Which part should I buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.